How To Make A Slideshow In PowerPoint (With Steps And Tips)
By Indeed Editorial Team
Published 5 May 2022
The Indeed Editorial Team comprises a diverse and talented team of writers, researchers and subject matter experts equipped with Indeed's data and insights to deliver useful tips to help guide your career journey.
Creating a PowerPoint slideshow is an effective way to present information through attention-grabbing visuals. Since a PowerPoint presentation can illustrate key points of any large piece of information, it may help viewers understand your message easily. Learning how to make a slideshow in PowerPoint may allow you to create impressive presentations that engage and attract your audience effectively. In this article, we may learn how to make an attractive PowerPoint slideshow and explore some tips for creating a great presentation.
What is a PowerPoint presentation?
A PowerPoint presentation is a collection of slides on a particular topic that you may present to your audience. Produced by Microsoft Corporation, PowerPoint is a computer program that is widely used in the business and education sectors. The slides in a PowerPoint presentation may include text, pictures, graphs and shapes. Inside the software are many elements that you may use to create an appealing presentation on a topic, like classroom lessons, sales pitches or business reports. A well-designed presentation may allow you to successfully attract and maintain the attention of your audience.
How to make a slideshow in PowerPoint
The answer to the question, "How to make a slideshow in PowerPoint?," may lead you to steps involved in creating a great PowerPoint presentation. You can create a PowerPoint presentation in Microsoft Office. You may find the following steps helpful while you are creating your own presentation:
1. Open the Microsoft PowerPoint software that is installed on your computer.
2. When PowerPoint has opened, click on the "New" button in the left pane.
3. To create a presentation from scratch, click on the "Blank Presentation" button. If you want to create a presentation using an already prepared design, you may click on one of the templates.
4. On the "Home" tab, click the "New Slide" button in the Slides group to create as many as needed for your presentation.
5. To select a different layout for the following slides, click on the "Layout" button in the "Home" tab to display the gallery of slide layouts and select the layout that you like the most.
6. To add text and format text, move the cursor inside a text box and then type something. To change the font of the text, select the text, and then select one or more options from the Font section of the "Home" tab, such as Font, Increase Font Size, Decrease Font Size, Bold, Italic and Underline. To add bullets or numbers to your text, select the text and then select Bullets or Numbering.
7. To add a picture, go to the "Insert" tab. In the "Images" section, select "Pictures". Then, in the "Insert Picture From" menu, select the source from where you want to take the picture. Browse for the pictures and once you have selected the picture that you are looking for, click on "Insert".
8. To add an illustration, go to the "Illustrations" section and select "Shapes", "Icons", "3D Models", "SmartArt" or "Chart". When you click on one of the options, a dialogue box appears. From there, you can click on one of the illustration types, select the item you want and follow the prompts to insert it.
Uses of a PowerPoint presentation
A PowerPoint presentation can be an effective tool that you may use in meetings, pitches for small or large groups, and even classrooms. You can use a PowerPoint presentation:
to persuade an audience to buy a product or service
to present your team different plans like sales and marketing
to break down complex facts and figures of a business report
to present data in the form of graphs or charts
to provide digital lessons to school or college students
Tips to create an effective PowerPoint presentation
There are a few tips you may consider to follow so that you make an effective and impressive PowerPoint presentation, here are some key points:
Follow design consistency
Try to design your PowerPoint presentation that has a consistent design. A consistent theme may help you prepare a coherent presentation that is both attractive and easy to follow. For example, using one template for all the slides is a great way to give consistency to your presentation.
Select a unique template
A template contains different elements, like layouts, colours, fonts, effects and background styles. You may try downloading a unique template online since many people may have used the ones that are available with the program and they may look similar. You may choose a template with light colours and a simple background.
Use less text
A PowerPoint presentation is essentially an overview of lengthy information. Keeping text short and simple in a presentation may be a great way to emphasise an idea. Using only a few lines per slide may make it easier for your audience to read, understand and remember your message.
Choose clear fonts
Using simple fonts can ensure that your audience is not struggling with trying to read the text in your presentation. Selecting straightforward fonts helps your audience read the text easily and quickly. You may also keep your fonts large enough so that the audience can read the text from a distance.
Opt for basic charts and diagrams
Opting for simple charts and diagrams helps your audience to quickly scan the data and easily understand it. Since charts and diagrams contain several statistics, you may choose basic designs to give superior clarity to your audience. Consider using only a few charts or diagrams for each slide to make the presentation more comprehensive.
Use simple animations and transitions
Using simple animations and transitions for your presentation helps your audience focus on the content instead of special effects. Overusing animations may prove to be distracting. Keeping transitions consistent throughout your presentation is a great way to make it look clean and organised.
Avoid sound effects
A good presentation is all about grabbing the attention of your audience. Using elements like audio effects may lead to the audience getting distracted. You may use music when highlighting a particular point, but consider avoiding unrelated sound effects in your presentations.
Use music and video if necessary
Music and video elements are a great way to gain the audience's attention and may make the subject matter easier to follow and comprehend. These multimedia elements may illustrate your point easily. You may use music and video that add value to your presentation and help you convey the message effortlessly.
Use quality images
Images may have a strong impact on your audience compared to text. Pictures in your presentation may help you make the content vibrant and interesting. Using high-quality images in your presentation makes it look stimulating and helps you catch the attention of your audience instantly.
A hyperlink in your presentation is a great way to access a web link from the presentation itself. You can add hyperlinks to your slides and link them to a number of locations. These locations may be a particular slide within the presentation, another PowerPoint presentation, a text document or a web page. You can add hyperlinks to any piece of text or an object.
Review presentation upon completion
Read through every slide of your presentation as if you are seeing it for the first time. Checking for redundancies and removing anything that does not add value to the presentation may help you prepare a concise presentation. You may simplify your wordings and edit for spelling and grammar.
Related: Types of Graphs And Charts
Best practices to give impressive presentations
Here is a list of some best practices that may help you give impressive PowerPoint presentations:
Plan your ideas and messages
Planning your ideas and how to deliver the message play a pivotal role in the success of a presentation. Before you start making a PowerPoint presentation, you may consider planning the content based on different factors. These factors include who your audience is, what do you want them to know and how you can identify effective strategies to present the information.
A PowerPoint presentation allows you to present information in points. You may consider organising your thoughts and conveying your messages in a few words. Avoiding big chunks of text may help you prepare a short yet impactful presentation.
Be elaborate when speaking
When you are giving a presentation, you may avoid reading from the screen. When you read from the screen, you may give the same information to your audience which is already there on the slides. Be elaborate and give information that adds to the points in the presentation.
Focus on pace
Making sure that you speak at a measured pace may help your audience understand your message clearly. Speaking too fast may lead to missing out on information and speaking too slow may make the presentation dull. Consider changing your pace depending on the sentiment of your message.
Practice before presenting
Once you have prepared a PowerPoint presentation, you may consider rehearsing your presentation before presenting it. You may do this in front of a mirror or call in your friends to give them the presentation. This exercise may help you feel confident about yourself and your presentation.
Please note that none of the companies, institutions or organisations mentioned in this article are associated with Indeed.
Explore more articles
- What Is Desktop Virtualisation? (Benefits And Tips)
- How To Create A Quality Management Plan: A Complete Guide
- What Is Compliance Training? (Definition And Examples)
- What Are Shares Outstanding? (Definition And Calculation)
- A Guide On Demand Planning: Definition, Importance And Steps
- How To Become An iOS Developer (With Steps And Skills)
- Data Science vs. Machine Learning: Differences and Challenges
- How To Write A Remote Work Policy (With Steps And Example)
- What Is An Attendance Write-Up? (And How To Write One)
- What Is Agile Project Management? (With Values And Steps)
- What Is A Social Entrepreneur? (Definition And Examples)
- How To Generate Leads For A Business: A Comprehensive Guide