A&E Factory Service

A&E Factory Service Employee Reviews

The desperate attempt to recapture past glory

A&E (Sears) is a large nationwide maintenance company. The maintenance aspect is reasonably managed, however the Sears Home Warranty, customer service, and scheduling are weak points that drag the entire operation down. Customers are constantly told unreliable and false information that must be addressed when you make contact with the customer. There is no effort to remedy any aspect of these deep seeded problems. The maintenance tech is expected to fix most of these situations personally. The pay is poor and there is an over emphasis on selling these poor maintenance warranties. Essentially the warranty is a prepaid repair contract. Expect to pay for what you can save in money with added time and frustration (up to and beyond 6 months) There was no premium placed on working during COViD-19. Raises are based strictly on performance matrixes. Some are reasonable. Some are not. More and more responsibilities are placed on the maintenance tech without the reciprocal pay increases. As presently structured customer service is a distant 2nd, 3rd, or 4th option. Unfortunately as the in-home tech, you are the only contact that any customer ever sees. Most people are understanding, but be prepared to not only fix appliances but broken down customers that just want the appliances they’ve paid for operate in a reasonable manner. Ask for all of you money up front because it will be years before you’re able to jump through the “raise hoops”

Pros

Company Vehicle, tool allowance possible signing bonus

Cons

Unreasonable expectations, borderline predatory “sales” emphasis. No 401K

Company provided vehicles.

I know for a fact this is worst place to work at. Management doesn’t care about you. If someone hits you get ready to be sent to get a drug test. Don’t expect management to treat you nice. Is al beautiful at the beginning but as you stay in the company, you’ll see how bad they treat customers and sometimes techs.

Terrible work enviornment

Had a customer threaten to shoot me over not having parts in stock due to poor parts inventory, after I completed the repair, they waited half an hour and demanded me to return for a non related issue with a separate appliance. I had already told dispatch and my management team about the threat and they threatened I was risking my job if I did not return. Also due to refusal of vehicle upkeep standards, the brakes on my van failed and they tried to force me back on route without authorizing any repairs to the mechanic shop. I parked it and refused. Then after completing all available trainings during the downtime, management quit returning calls and I was not informed of management shift to my team and was pretty much just clocking in, contacting dispatch that I was still waiting for a stocked replacement vehicle to service my territory. I waited a week with no responses and then finally quit the job.

All about selling warranties

About sums it up...decent money for a technician, but a salesman/technician...nope...in and out for me..... long hrs lotsa overtime expensive benefits....really presses the sales, almost felt like a failure for not selling them

Pros

Good support system and training

Cons

Give company 35 min ea way travel time...

Sell, Sell, Sell...

I was hired as a general technician, I was given 2 weeks to shadow a senior technician and then was sent on my own. The management at no point during the interview or training process mentioned how heavily they push sales on their tech team. If the team is unable to meet a specific quota of warranty sales DURING THEIR REPAIR CALLS, they were written up and punished.If you want a job that feels like the in person version of those "extended car warranty" calls, this is for sure the job for you.

Pros

Work vehicle provided

Cons

Not family friendly

terriable place to work if you want a life

work was ok coworkers ok , management more worried about your selling of warranties pushing customers with high pressure sales ,to not respect the answer on and if you do not make sales quotas you will be released

Pros

fair pay

Cons

long days, pushed to sell rather than be a good tech and little support on weekend work

Decent job

It’s a good job but it’s not really a career it’s just enough that. After a few years you can branch off on your own and do side work or open a business. Not really somewhere to stay forever

Pros

Working from home having a company vehicle

Cons

Sales are pushed, extremely high rates for repairs

It is never enough here they always want more more more

The training is poor at best Their benefits are astronomical the company only pays about 18 to 2o percent..There fleet is 15 years old and have any were from 15000 to 30000 miles always breaking down

Pros

You can take the van home

Cons

None Worse benefits any could ever offer the price was astronomical no work life balance at all

They'll work you to death if you let them.

Experienced computer problems for three straight weeks to no resolve. Blue screen crashing 20+ times a day which was a major pita since everything you do revolves around it. That was just the tip of the iceberg. Company is a Trainwreck.

Pros

Can't think of any

Cons

Remotely micromanaged, constantly under unrealistic expectations and time-frames.

Nightmare

This place was terrible if you do a good job and are efficant. It means nothing but more work the work place enviormnt is toxic and negitve You could pay me enough to ever go back to this company I am genuinely suprised this company is still in business.Seek employment else where unless you are absolutely despriat.

RUN, don;t walk, and find somewhere else to work

Management sucks,. they don't care about customers . they blatantly lie to people, including staff. their service stinks. I was embarrassed to work there. Terrible terrible place to be.

Pros

Cons

horrible culture

If 150 miles a day plus 8-14 calls a day is your thing.

Never had a good day with the sheer number of calls and management always on you to sell warranties. Machine repair is the least of their concerns. Stay far away from this company as an employee and a customer.

Pros

Cons

Everything, run fast, run far.

Good job until you just cant take it anymore

Work-life balanceWork-life balance at A&E Factory Service is non-existant. They will bombard you with calls and expect you to get them all complete before you can go home. Completely unrealistic estimated times to complete calls. If you can change a compressor in 30 minutes and do 4 of them plus 5 other calls in a day then this job is perfect for you!Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at A&E Factory Service are pretty good. Makes up for the low hourly rate by all the forced overtime you will workManagementIn general, managers at A&E Factory Service just push you to sell home warranties. Dont really give a rip if you repair anything. Just sell sell sell

It’s a fun work place fast past

I love working here fast pace but you’ll get the hang great pay an benefits vacation time paid holidays personal days off off holidays great team members understanding management

Terrible Company

Worst experience of my life. The pay was terrible unless you worked 70 hours a week. Benefits are terrible. No 401k match at all. The management is demeaning every day sending texts out telling you how terrible you were etc. All they cared about was if you sold a service contract. They didn’t care if you fixed anything at all. Stay away, far away!

Pros

Take home truck

Cons

Everything else

Don’t do it

Not a good place to work. Basically run around and order parts then leave the customer hanging for weeks at a time. Unrealistic expectations. You have to basically beg for the tools you need. Take home vehicle is nice though.

Pros

Take home vehicle

Cons

Everything else

Selling

If you work with them be prepared to not fix anything and if you can sell your way through a service call the better. Not a very good place to be employed at

No Work/Life balance & Poor Health benefit cost

This used to be a great company. One to be proud to work for. Lately, overtime is inevitable!!! You are responsible to complete all of your work for the day by picking up parts local when possible if not carried on truck and are told to do that with no overtime. Not enough time allowed to complete quality repairs for the amount of Service calls given daily. Call loads can range from 4 to 12 daily with up to 250 miles a day. Mileage and call loads can be OK but, again, you are to do that with no OT. The company now values sales over quality repairs. As a refrigeration technician you could see up to 4 sealed system calls in a day with other calls. You could be working 14 hrs a day and there is rarely help with pulling calls from your route. In addition to that, because a majority of your service calls are home warranty calls, you will spend a great amount of time calling in for authorizations, approvals, locating parts, and technical assistance. Sales are a must. You must meet the companies monthly quota for sales or you will be placed on a Performance plan for not meeting expectation with no regard to your repair performance. The pay and benefit options are good but, if you need health and other benefits, you will be paying an arm and a leg for them. If you need the better of the available options, you could be limiting yourself to bringing home as low as a quarter of your earnings. Pay raises are non existent because you do get a commission for your sales in addition to your hourly pay. The company promotes that if you want a raise, you must make more sales.

Shaky ground

Was once a great company, but current situation is brittle, to say the least. Too many changes, not enough communication. Still being run by the team that decimated Sears Holding Corporation.

Don't go here.

You half to drive, at the beginning and end, of your day for 25 minutes without being paid. You can call a call center for help but more times then not they give you bad information. Management SUCKS. They only care about themselves. Anything learned on the job is from other techs.

More focused on the money than service

Quite demeaning to workers. Both customers and workers appeared to be nothing more than necessary evils to deal with to get to the money. I had rwo supervisors clearly tell me to mn ake up a story to tell the customer to get out of a costly repair and a contract. Told me to tell the customer that the part for the appliance was no longer available when it was still under the first year warranty. I quit because this affected my reputation and I was the face of the company but I also was on a first name basis with some I even knew personally.

Pros

Not too many

Cons

Emphasis was on selling rather than service

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A&E Factory Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• A&E Factory Service