ABEC, Inc.

ABEC, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at ABEC, Inc. are the lowest in the industry. Pay wise. Benefits are not bad.Job security and advancementIn terms of job security at ABEC, Inc., I think Abec is going under soon. Layoffs every week. And a lot of people leavingManagementIn general, managers at ABEC, Inc. are STUPID.CultureCollaboration with my colleagues at ABEC, Inc. is the best. The boys are hilarious. And you can really have fun here.
This is my 2nd internship and ABEC has been the best yet, super helpful and a great learning experience would definitely recommend for any student looking for an internship
Pros
Good pay, flexible with schedule, summer events
Cons
N/a
Working at ABEC, I felt a purpose. We were building equipment to change peoples lives. The systems we built make the next generation of bio-pharmaceutical drugs. I started there cutting stainless steel tubing, progressed to assembling spools, orbital welding, Level II weld inspection, and then Quality Control Technician. I loved my work, as it was varied, and I felt a purpose.
Pros
Weekly summer activities, catered meals twice per year, bonuses
Cons
Top level management micromanages from 1000 miles away.
First off, the good. I LOVED the crew working there. On the whole, great people. If it hadn't been for their training I wouldn't be where I am today. Now for the bad. Management is a problem. Training is nonexistent, and favoritism is rampant. Pay is bad for the work, and you ARE going to be on 2nd shift. If you can deal with that, it's a great place to work.
Pros
Great coworkers, OTJ training
Cons
Discriminatory management, bad pay, mandatory 2nd shift when you start
Expect to work more than a 40 hr week more often than not, but only compensated for a 38 hr week. People there are nice mostly, but there’s a perpetual feeling of stress and a lack of excitement. Would recommend working elsewhere if you have the chance.
extreme lack of communication, lack of ability to keep on task of due date (which are short), and lack to stay on budget, engineers don't do their jobs correctly to have prints correct for people assembling the project. co-works were great and understanding and willing to help and train other people, management really didn't care about the employees.
I had already worked there for a year with Penmac before I was hired on with Abec. I think they took way too long for them to hire me on. They let me go after 4 years and many others due to lack of work.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Unstable work flow
The harder you work, the more work you get. No encouragement. Then they let you go for no reason of your own doing. They can't get jobs and if they do get lucky with one they mess it up immediately.
I have been given the opportunity to learn new skills within the company. From the skills i have learned I've applied to further make everyday operations within the work environment more efficient. The manager is very willingly to work with his employees and help in any way when needed. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the constant changes being made on a project that make it a challenge to release it to production in a timely manner.
Pros Company pursues and achieves excellence in a number of areas - quality of workmanship, on-time performance, responsive service department. Cons Industry move towards disposable process solutions and higher density processes poses a huge headwind in the market for ABEC, whose competence is very large stainless steel systems. Disposable solutions offered by ABEC are for niche applications, simply not competitive and sell poorly. Once rightly perceived as a technical leader, the rest of the industry has caught up in every respect - at a much lower price. Arrogant sales process alienate end clients and construction management companies alike, leading to lack of orders and layoffs while the rest of the industry is booming. Insufficient service offerings and resources to grow sales to levels desired. Sales targets have been heavily tied to sales compensation, with very unfavorable results to the employee. Sales and Sales Management is a revolving door as a result. All significant sales opportunities are micro-managed by the those at the top, often with disastrous results. Advice to Management Cease the arrogant, horrific sales practices that alienate end clients and EPC firms. Come to terms with resource limitations and product offering limitations that limit growth - or invest to fix them.
I was very unhappy at this role and very sorry I ever accepted the position. Will probably remove entirely from my resume. The management was the worst I ever worked with. Terrible training and support. Awful experience.
Interesting and challenging work. Extremely unfair wages for the kind of work done. VERY bad raises. Used to have bonus checks twice yearly which helped with the poor wages but they're gone now. Management loves to waste money with bad decisions while not taking care of the people who make them the large profits. If you are looking for a career and a company to retire from pass this one by!
Pros
Coffee, stale leftovers from company paid lunches
Cons
VERY poor management, too many "chiefs"
Great job to learn a new trade. Possibilities are endless. Training is lackluster and advancement is nonexistent unless you know the manager personally. Good employees and a few that play their games. Pay is below average but not terrible. I felt that this company was like a dog chasing its tail, lots of work but undertrained workers and al lack of communication and leadership.
Pros
Great health care and vacation
Cons
Management, leadership.
You’re not valued as an employee, you’re simply a number. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Upper management was a complete joke, telling you to something one way and they waiting until end of project to change how you did it so you have to go back and redo all of it. And if you aren’t in the good ol boys group best of luck to you.
It was very political if you did not have lunch with the Human Resource manager and like her friends that were employees you were treated poorly. this company when i hired on was behind on a contract and when i was laid off they were still behind and that was several months ago and they are still working on the same contract. too much wasted time and money no leadership and if you had a brain they did not like you to be able to think for yourself and work with out being micromanaged.
Pros
worked alone
Cons
too much buddy system going on.
Working with engineers and other staff members was always a great pleasure great team, lots of over time to meet scheduled dates it's a very demanding Job,and lots of traveling for the company
Pros
Lots of free coffee
Cons
Short break
My overall experience with ABEC was great. Everyone welcomed me openly to the company and were willing to help with any questions I may have had. The internship was very insightful they gave me actual work to do that contributed to the company instead of getting people coffee and running around paperwork.
On a daily basis, I process orders, create proposals and email correspondences when required. I have learned how to manage my time more productively and prioritize. Work environment is fast-paced and always something new to learn from our engineers, technicians, designers, production and quality team members. The hardest part is not being able to always attend the off-site training courses they have to offer due to the far destination and dates that may affect team if not you are not present. The most enjoyable part is when the team works together to achieve a major task and successfully executes.
Pros
Holiday giveaways
Cons
Healthcare
Though I was only contracted for this company for a few months I greatly enjoyed my time here. Though it is a quick Pace atmosphere I found it made the days go by much quicker. I cannot speak for the welding laborers but as far as office staff I would rate an A easily.
Pros
Quick paced
Cons
Office to Labour communication needs work
Good place to work. Gave me the ability to grow in the field. When Had work we were running around trying to get the work done. When not busy had us working on Standards, and revisions to older projects.
You are typically over worked and under payed. Upper management has no clue of what is required on shop floor and makes demands and promises customers deadlines that are not attainable and passes the blame. Poor culture and little support which causes high turn over. That in turn leaves only a small group of quality experienced personnel to manufacture and install very high end bio-reactors. The quality is sacrificed for deadlines and then comes back to haunt them in end. Whole upper management needs to step back and look at future or there will be none.
Pros
Cons
almost everything
  1. Employee Reviews