ALS logo
ALS

ALS Employee Reviews

Work-Life Balance

Was a good experience as an entry level job, but I was eager to move on.

Working at ALS Tribology is tough. There’s a high turnover, low wages, and a lot of overtime that you’re either pressured to take on or you need to to earn enough income. I look back somewhat fondly as the experience humbled me for the rest of my career. However I would not recommend anyone staying here long. Working in this lab was an entry level job that led to an opportunity at a manufacturer for an industry that is related to tribology.

Pros

A lot of the coworkers were good hard working people, if you try you can gain a lot of valuable lab experience that can transfer over to other jobs, hence this is a good entry level company if you don’t have many options after school

Cons

Bad work life balance - a lot of overtime; low wages; safety measures need improving

May 20, 2021
We’re sorry to hear you didn’t receive the level of career support you were hoping for and we are working towards improving our offering in this space. Currently our Learning & Development team are designing an internal career planning and mentoring framework soon to be launched.

Only bad here

Management is horrible. Period. Terrible people skills and will not interact with people working on the floor unless they like you. Unless you like working in a maze it's cool.

Favorites

This company plays favorites. If you are not in the inner circle, you are looked down upon. Long unnecessary hours. The owner is a true con artist with his customers

Pros

Travail répétitif - risque grave de blessures

Seulement 2 postes de travail possible: broyage des roches ou pulvérisation. Dans les 2 cas, il s'agit d'un travail très physique dans un environnement chaud, bruillant et poussiéreux.La charge de travail et considérable et le type de travail répétitif avec de fortes chances de développer des tandinites, bursites et maux de dos.Les employés ont droit aux avantages seulement après 9 mois de travail, le temps supplémentaire et les possiblilitées d'avancement sont inexistants.

Pros

Gestionnaire sympathique

Cons

Mouvement répétitif, pas d'avancement

Petite entreprise d aide a la personne

Entreprise d aide a la personne. Avec peu d heures de travail a la clé

Pros

Travail en autonomie

Cons

Peu de matériel

Pays the bills

Can be ok to work in with colleagues alike but management are quick to ruin a person's confidence and they make you always feel small and you'll be told everything you didn't do and not enough of.Targets reached are never mentioned or realised..

Pros

Leaving the building after a hard day

Cons

Coming into the building for more suffering

Get ready to work hard!

Overall, my experience working as a Sample Prep Technician was very positive. I got to login samples received from mines all across BC and the world (drill core, pulp, soil, vegetation). Management does care about safety. The team is great, and as long as you work hard you will succeed at ALS. While the work is dusty and labour-intesive, it is still good, honest work and I would recommend this job for anybody who wants a shot at getting into the mining/mineral exploration or geochemistry industries. Do not apply if you are afraid of hard work.

Pros

Hard, honest work. Great team.

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement.

April 11, 2021
Thank you for your review and it is great to hear that working at ALS was a 5 star experience for you! It is true, in Sample Preparation you get good exposure to the mining industry and work hard. While the opportunity for advancement may be more limited in one location, we are opening 4 new locations in Canada & the US this year which means we have management positions available for those who are interested in relocating. As a global organization, we have opportunities elsewhere as well! It's too bad we couldn't keep you but we do hope you found something you enjoy!

Terrible place to work

If you can at all help it, avoid this place at all costs! In several years of work experience, this place hands down has the worst corporate culture I have ever come across and it's not even close. It all starts from a completely insane CEO who could care less about employees and works it way down. The job/life balance is beyond atrocious and job security is nonexistent.

Pros

Pay is ok

Cons

EVERYTHING else

May 20, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am really sorry to hear that your experience working for ALS did not match our intention of creating a great place to work. We are taking your advice and feedback seriously and if you would like to share more about your experience please contact the Corporate HR management team confidentially by emailing ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com.

They don't care about their employees

Poor management, don't care about employee well being. I raised that I was really struggling working the night shift and living alone. My manager didn't seem interested.

Decent place to work

I worked at ALS for and it is a pretty typical large company to work for. Hard to advance very far within the company and below average pay for what they expect of you.

Pros

Easy going management team

Cons

Terrible Pay

May 20, 2021
Thank you for providing feedback and we regret that you felt discontent with your wages. ALS endeavors to pay market rates for the type of work our employees do by completing annual reviews that take into account inflation changes and that benchmark to the location the facility is in. If you would like to provide further details about your pay situation so we can look into pay equity in your specific region, please confidentially email the Corporate HR Management team at ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com. Our goal is to ensure fair wages are paid to all our valued staff, in addition to company benefits and training opportunities so your further insight will help us improve in this area.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at ALS?

It a hard working place

It's a hard working place that requires you to stand on your feet for long periods of time you get really dirty but in the end it's well worth it!!! I loved working for this company!!!

April 11, 2021
Thank you for your review of what it is like to work at ALS. We are so happy to hear you loved working for us despite the hard work. Some people have said that they love the workout (saves on the gym membership) and that being busy makes the day go by faster. We appreciate the feedback and hope you found something that you enjoy just as much!

High school environment

Cliques in every department making it difficult to have a comfortable work environment. Poor management with advancements from favoritism. Overworked and underpaid with little room for advancement.

April 11, 2021
We appreciate your feedback. Making ALS a great place to work and continuous improvement are very important to us. We will review your comments with regional management with an eye towards continuous improvement. Thank you for your review and we wish you the best.

Though job, low compensation

Do not recommend Fire Assay lab to any university educated jobseeker.The name includes Lab, but the actual place does not look like a lab. More like a production line, all people with full PPE (Even respirator), trying hard to achieve the shift objectives which means non-stop rush during the entire shift.

Pros

Good coworkers

Cons

Dangerous work, very fast pace, no job security

April 11, 2021
Thank you for leaving a review. Fire Assay is a very specific type of analysis that is very important to our customers but is not the typical "laboratory job". It is unfortunate that it was not a good fit for you. We do have more traditional laboratory departments at ALS available as well for those that are interested. We appreciate the feedback and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Disrespectful and underpaid

Rude people searched me almost everyday entering work (asked around I was the only one they did it too). Never got a wageslip paid different amount every week, for same amount of hours. Poor management

Pros

Cons

Boring, no social life, paid wrong every week without fail, overworked

Turn up for work to find they changed my shift without telling me

The work was very good, but unfortunately staff communication skills need to be improved and to be looked at , and to look closely to the bully, also need staff that knows what there doing ,

Pros

Nice job

Cons

Communication none, feel cant talk to them about problems, some staff dont wear ppe for chemicals, also staff dont put ppe on to go to red area cross contamination with covid

Horrible Place to work

The management at ALS is horrible and they treat their employees like absolute garbage. I would recommend never working at this place and to avoid it like the plague. Staff that have been there for years have never received a raise. It is very difficult to become permanent unless you are a supervisors favorite. Senior staff come and go as they please because they won't get laid off. You are expected to do crazy amounts of work and rush through it because they are understaffed and refuse to hire help to save money, even during the busy seasons. They keep lots of staff as casual so they don't have to give you benefits, sick days or vacation days and you are easily expendable.

Pros

Cons

Under paid, long hours, under staffed, horrible supervisors and management

March 6, 2021
Thank you for your thorough and detailed review. Working in a seasonal industry does present its challenges. We do our best to staff up for peak season but mirroring staffing levels with increasing sample volumes is a tough balance to achieve. When you factor in the training time for new staff, it is understandable that stress levels get elevated. It is true that we hire seasonal employees on as casual and have recently implemented a more structured process to convert long term casual employees to full-time so they can get benefits. I don't know how long you were with ALS, but we do provide structured wage increases every year (except last year because of the business impact caused by Covid). We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in your future career!

Good people to work with.

Good people to work with and they offered competitive health insurance. Salary was okay. Management was engaged with the employers. They had the latest equipment.

May 20, 2021
Thanks very much for your balanced and fair review. Were glad you felt that management was engaged and that we had the latest equipment. It's something we work hard on and we're pleased our efforts resonated with you.

Unreasonable Expectations

Even before the shortages due to COVID each employee is not only expected to complete the work load of 2-3 employees, but demanded. Strong armed into working long days, weekends, without consideration for personal time or outside commitments. There isn't an official scheduled shift, so management will require you to come in for odd hours.The company is withholding all raises due to their losses from COVID, regardless of employees being forced to work in multiple areas of the lab between prep techs, instrument analysts, and front office employees. The managers in the lab on salary are taken advantage of for as many overtime hours as possible without being paid overtime rates. When confronting the lab director about unfair wages, it was said that the company expects the employees to make up for losses due to COVID.The employees are friendly and welcoming, however there isn't one of them that isn't both physically and mentally exhausted. It is not uncommon to see multiple employees working 10-12 hour shifts 5 days a week and still be asked to work weekends.The work itself is not challenging and somewhat engaging, however there isn't much outside of "cookbook chemistry".

Pros

Flexible schedule, coworkers are friendly. Occasionally allowed overtime (but only if approved based on revenue).

Cons

Lab director is the physical embodiment of corporate, lacking empathy. Company uses and and abuses employees. Non-livable wages, long hours.

March 11, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Our intention at ALS is to create a workplace that is inclusive, where all employees feel valued and appreciated. The COVID-19 pandemic impacted all businesses and industries in various ways, and ALS was not immune from these challenges. I am really sorry to hear that your experience working for ALS did not match our goal of creating a great place to work.

Horrible management

It is an insanely easy job but the management is horrid and they value quantity over quality and safety. There are alot of safety violations along with shift favoritism and unfair treatment. Raises and opportunities god to those who have a better relationship with the managers not to those who have good work ethic. If they changes management this would be a dre job but sadly is lack luster

Pros

Easy

Cons

Horrid management and favoritism

March 6, 2021
Thank you for your review. It is unfortunate to hear that your experience of working at ALS is not how we endeavor it to be. We do have a strong safety culture and a structured wage increase program, which is available to all employees. But it is regrettable to hear that there are perceptions of favoritism at the site, we will work with the site to enhance communications around our structured wage increases and how to to report safety concerns. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.

na

Hardest part of the job was the amount of responsibility given and pressure to deliver despite not being allowed overtime. Coworkers were great but it was a lot of pressure and few room for mobility.

March 9, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are sorry to hear your experience did not match our intention of creating a great working environment. We are working toward additional training opportunities for employees to encourage and facilitate career growth.

They don't care about your health

Management gets upset with you if you're exhausted, sick, or have other emergencies. You're constantly pushed to keep going and if any mistakes are made you are written up as a result due to physical and mental exhaustion. Only 2 breaks in an 8 hour shift; 15 minute and 30 minute lunch. You are only allowed to call in sick 2 days in a row, any more than that then your employment is locked out until you get a doctor's note which a lot of us end up losing employment at ALS as a result.

Pros

Decent enough pay

Cons

Standing on concrete all day in steel toe boots

March 6, 2021
Thank you for your review. It is unfortunate that your experience at ALS is not as we endeavor it to be. We comply with all employment standards requirements for breaks and require a doctor's after an employee has been sick for three days. While the work is physical, overtime is voluntary as we respect the need for people to have mental and physical rest. We hope you work that is better suited to you and wish you the best in your future endeavors!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question