Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Employee Reviews

very nice to work in the institution which is more professional and helpful to build your career and as well with wonderful working atmosphere along with the work life balance.
Fun workplace with ping pong table. It is a constant learning platform. The management is good. The work culture is good. The most enjoyable part of the job is Teamwork.
You know with certainty that your work contributes to the success of the organization and supports their mission. At the end of the day you go home feeling fulfilled.
Pros
Great Benefits, Job Satisfaction
Cons
Occasionally work/life balance is not in sync
É uma boa empresa de se trabalhar. As pessoas são bem companheiras e não há competitividade
A company and organization extremely committed to improving the lives of people across the world. Many of the people and leaders at the foundation are some of the best individuals to work along side.
Had a great work environment and opportunity to meet with many people over coffee chats. Attended many learning sessions and events on campus. Everyone was nice and friendly.
This is a great idea and cause, but it was extremely challenging as many of the students had severe deficiencies in their education, so a large portion of the course time had to be dedicated to non-topic subjects.
Inspiring place to work. Amazing people. Amazing mission. But the politics and pressure can be tough. If you land in the right role, it can be really great, but also tiring.
I had three managers over 10 years. Each one was different. Your experience depends completely on your manager and micro-culture. Without changing departments, I found myself in an unhealthy situation with two levels too many of middle management because there was no where for people to advance to. A typical complaint that I echo: They put people in management that have no business being there. Then these people learn by making mistakes effecting your career. C-level management is caring and attentive as possible, but it grew so large (I started when it was about 200 employees and left when it was more than 2,000) that the people making the rules aren't able to tell if anything is actually good or bad in the ranks. Additionally, while the idea is to go there and change the world, there has become a sickening culture of entitlement. For example, the outrage when the parental leave went from 52 wks paid time off to 26 wks PLUS $20k. People were up in arms. Or heaven forbid they put a free snack out that you're allergic to! I even had a woman complain to me that the free cupcakes celebrating valentines day were offensive because we humans consume too much sugar...and she was 100% straight-faced serious. Add all of this to the general culture of taking credit for others' ideas and getting ahead by putting others down, just be careful going in. It's not as golden and glossy as it appears from the outside.
Helping the customers, Co- Workers were great to work everyone was very helpful and hands on m. Management was ok. But I loved working there..........
1. If you love tech, this is a great place. No doubt you'll talk tech (mostly the MSFT stack) from enterprise to consumer - from PCs to phones to Xboxes - from datacenter to desktop. 2. What were GREAT benefits are now VERY GOOD (took a small step down) but still probably better than you'll find at 99% of large corporations. If you've got family - the value of the benefits is even higher. 401k match is nice. 3. Even with it's struggles MSFT is still a cash printing machine. This means if you can keep your nose clean and do reasonable work, you can have a stable job, pay your bills, feed your family, and not worry (too much) about layoffs. The stock you own likely won't tank, but probably won't go up much either. You'll get a bonus each year and some stock. It's a decent life if you aren't looking to light the world on fire.
Overall, I loved my time at the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation. The mission can't be beat but work life balance is very challenging to achieve depending on what your role is and what team you are on. Effective people management still continues to evolve as many people managers were hired for their knowledge and expertise and effective people management/leadership skills tends to be less of a priority during the hiring process.
Was offered the job on a contract, with the possibility of perm. Lots of learning in the first month. Then, position was outsourced and I was only there for support. No additional training, only looking for a new job. : (
Pros
Free breakfasts and lunches & Paid Time Off for contract workers
Cons
ONLY a contract position
The workplace was a great place to be, Everyone worked well together. And the work flow was nice. I learned great time management and organization. Also, How to interact with people and work with others i don't normally do on a daily bases
Pros
Free lunches, Great people, Good management
Cons
Short breaks
A challenging place to work as it was growing dramatically when I was there. Management plans were drafted on a biweekly basis as the foundation grew. Scholars and doctors were put in place as managers with no relevant supervisory experience. Mission drives the foundation and binds it together. Foundation-wide inspirational pep talks are given by Foundation leaders when staff are flagging from the volume of work and frequent long distance travel. That said, here are real opportunities to "make a difference" on serious issues, Seattle is a good place to live. Pay and benefits are generous. The perspective is sometimes more corporate than philanthropic.
Pros
international travel
Cons
home prices in Seattle v. expensive
I was a contractor working on a grant review process involving stakeholder interviews worldwide. The team I worked with was organized and efficient throughout the process.
Was provided the opportunity to travel internationally and learn about third world and underdeveloped countries that otherwise I would not have had the chance to experience.
Pros
Benefits - Flexible work hours / remote work option
Cons
Located in Seattle
This is an organization that is driven by its mission and the impact that it makes. Organization is intense and requires high level of commitment as it is constantly changing itself internally.
Pros
Benefits, compensation
Cons
Intense, ever changing
Planned well with the team I had lent on how to manage team remotely I learned well on how to manage the project from team recruitment, training and execution on the ground I understood team and work environment culture especial with CBK The hardest part of the job is where some of my team were caught up with authority and it is very remote areas, but managed to get things resolved When team meeting their targets and covering the areas given
Good place to work, employees are passionate about the organization's mission, Great benefits and work life balance. Very environmentally conscious.
The BMGF provides a good opportunity to make a difference in Global Health because of its large endowment and ability to invest substantial capital into projects. However the BMGF Culture, Management and work life balance are not so good. Everyone is eventually forced out of the organization no matter how good of a job you do.