Cactus Communications

Cactus Communications Employee Reviews

Opportunity to learn new technologies and learn the work culture for your future opportunities. Best place to grow.. I would recommend it to people who love working with little fun.
Their pool of in-house reviewers is dreadful. They are no experts and think they are qualified to comment on the expertise of skilled and senior editors who also happen to be people with advanced degrees that go beyond PhDs. I used to be associated with their Materials Sciences team. If you are ever offered a position in that team, just turn down the offer without a second thought. Their management will harass you to the point of extreme anxiety. I wish I could take their names on this platform, as I'm so tempted to do so. They are extremely nitpicky and deduct the quality index for unnecessary things that they feel would result in the rejection of the manuscripts. This is a clear red flag that proves that they are unprofessional and have absolutely zero idea of how the publishing industry functions. They lack basic etiquettes, and their communication skills are nonexistent. The physical sciences team in particular is highly uncalibrated and likely full of school kids without an iota of idea on how publication actually works. There are much better firms to work for than Cactus. AVOID CACTUS AT ANY COST!!
Official response from Cactus Communications
February 4, 2021
Hello,Thanks for sharing feedback, and I'm terribly sorry about the poor experience you've had working with CACTUS.Selection of our inhouse team is stringent, with candidates having to go through a rigorous selection process, which includes a test and multiple rounds of interviews. The team members also undergo a comprehensive training program and all of their work, including feedback to editors, is reviewed until they are deemed ready to work independently. The guidelines for providing feedback to editors are based on journal and customer expectations. We conduct periodic calibration sessions for the team as well, moderated centrally by our Skill and Knowledge Management team. Nevertheless, editors can write in with any disagreements with the feedback provided; any specific next steps are taken and if required, the rating is also revised.I'm really disappointed to know about the poor communication by our team. Feel free to write to me with specific issues noted with any specific member of the team at christinem@cactusglobal.com. Improving editor experience is an important priority for CACTUS, and we value the feedback you've provided. I apologize once again for the poor experience you've had.Best,Christine
Good place for Freshers to start. Trainings are very well structured. Healthy office environment. Casual dresscode and really helpful people. Loved the transport facility, events and Cafeteria.
Pros
Decent Salary, 5-day working, nice office
Cons
Work is Stressful, high expectations, bit too many trainings and meetings at odd hours.
Es una empresa muy buena para quienes necesitan entradas extras en su tiempo libre.
Excellent place to work. Great work culture and management. Company is growing and upper management decisions have become quicker since I left in 2018.
Wonderful work environment and great work culture. Wonderful support and facilities provided to new joinees, Loved every single minute at the company.
Work life balance is the only point that needs to be sorted. The managers are understanding. Flexibility is the biggest advantage working at Cactus. Overall, an awesome place to work at.
Pros
Good management and growth, good benefits, and easy-going environment
Cons
Stressful at times
It was very difficult to have esl workers criticizing the way in which I edited in my native language. Awkward wording and demanding supervisors created a very strained atmosphere. You could spend several hours on a journal only to be paid 10 dollars or so.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Supervisor scoring
Editage pays editors a baseline rate of Rs. 0.40/word (=$0.0057-less than half a cent) while they charge authors $500-600 for 6-days or $600-700 for 4-days, $125 for formatting. The editors are not paid extra for formatting. This baseline rate is reduced if you get low QI ratings or there are deadline breaches. The freelance editors, the ones at the core of their business model, are treated shabbily. They pick freelancers (with Masters and PhDs in the subject area) after a rigorous process. They are given no training and have to get up to speed on Editage’ internal processes on their own. The reviewers' job is not ensuring that a near-flawless copy goes to the client but to point out the editor’s errors. While the editors have subject matter knowledge PLUS excellent English language skills, most of the reviewers are English Lit./Linguistics grads; most of them are non-native, greenhorns, with no publishing background. In terms of experience/qualifications, these reviewers are peers or juniors to the Editors. I had reviewed, as a staff editor, the work of one of their current reviewers, when he/she was a new joinee in my previous organization. When you question a reviewer's work, the Managing Editor is only concerned with justifying the reviewer. There are times when a job is given excellent rating (4, the highest) by the reviewer, but the client comes back with a complaint. Then there are occasions when the reviewer thinks the edit was either average or poor but the client gives an Outstanding feedback. The deadlines can get moved up anytime. When that happens Editage charges - more...
Decent place to work; writers not given enough time to write and treated like machines; management is most unprofessional and need soft skill training
Pros
Freedom to operate; Trust on individuals
Cons
Lack of soft skill; Use and throw attitude; Not a people-oriented company
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Cactus Communications?
As I work on a freelance basis for transcription dept, there is no specific timing where I can expect an assignment. General transcription assignments are really informative. Never had a chance to talk to management. Really strange deadlines. Sometimes ended up working 16 hours at a stretch, believe me!! Payment, I think, is satisfactory (on an assignment basis) and on time.
Pros
On-time payment.
Cons
I bet they themselves cannot get the work done on deadline that they set for freelancers.
Good company, understanding management, flexible timings, pays well, I have learned a lot about project management at Cactus Communications under my team manager.
Amazing company to work in. great work life balance, work culture and manager/ colleagues. The environment is competitive but not stressful. One enjoys working in the office and with the colleagues.
The benefit is is that I am in the USA the company is in India, but I could work. The software the company uses is excellent. Quality of work expected is outstanding so it helps. The disadvantage is not enough work, poor compensation. The program managers are less qualified and do not know their work so it is difficult to work with them.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
not enough work
The staff is great, helpful and yet you can't help but feel this sense of stagnation in the air. Everybody is relaxed but no one is secure in their job. My Sr. most manager was removed without so much as a notice period after 3 yrs of service. This does not bode well for the company employees. There is no growth since there are no openings for senior management.
Pros
Breakfast service, helpful, caring staff.
Cons
Zero job security, groupism, some internal bickering and politics
Cactus is one of the highest paying companies in the industry but the work load is unbearable. signing in with Cactus would mean working 12 hours every single day.
Pros
good infrastructure
Cons
no work life balance
Work starts with greeting everyone at work, looking at what's in store for the day, taking care of it throughout the day. Work culture is amazing with fun activities arranged regularly so that you're not drained completely due to work. There is the convenience given so that you can work from home if required and flexible work hours. Recognition is given in the form of value cards.
Pros
Fun culture
Cons
Poor work life balance
This is a great place to learn and create a solid foundation for one's skills. Also, talent and loyalty are recognised, nurtured and appreciated, so there are plenty of opportunities to grow. Both internal quality standards and those of clients are very high. And it can be extremely challenging to satisfy both owing to daily and inevitable pressures and constraints. Work can get monotonous after a point. Though it is rewarding to interact with, groom and learn from experts and novice editors around the world, one begins to feel a disconnect from the job, which becomes routine and enmeshed in targets and processes. Policies keep changing - the rapid pace of change often resulting from a lack of clear direction. This can be frustrating. Regular and thoughtful HR initiatives ensure that the workplace is always fun and has a positive atmosphere.
Cactus Communications is a good place to begin ones career if they are interested in editing, peer-reviewing or publishing scientific manuscripts/content/data. The system is transparent and streamlined, which is appreciable. It is good for freelancing, in which you can choose the assignments according to your own schedule and make a little extra money. However, the remuneration is very basic (less) and working hours can be very long, since it is a strictly deadline-driven job.
Pros
oportunity to work from home, streamlined process, efficient management
Cons
long working hours, insufficient remuneration, strict deadlines, no opportunities to grow career-wise
as a freelancer the work received was not much. however, their working is extremely organized. they also give feedback to your work which is helpful in improvisation.
CACTUS is a great place to work. It might not give you the perfect work life balance though, especially if you are in a full time role. The balance is good if you freelance for them, but there again, as a freelance, their pay rates are pretty less than the industry standards. The culture is the best of all the offices I've worked with. The hardest part was the monotony of the role and the job pressure one has to deal while at work.
Pros
Happy Hours on last Friday of the month, Free movie tickets
Cons
Biased Management