Caterpillar logo
Caterpillar

Caterpillar Employee Reviews

Showing all 7,180 reviews

Great workplace with excellent work culture

Great experience working with Cat. Great workplace with excellent work culture. Lots of cultural activities to ease you up in between. Great people and good leads to support your career through.

Pros

No tension about SLA's, great company

Cons

Na

Tough work environment

The company was alway doing rolling work layoffs, hence tough work environments.No clear vision as to where management wanted to take the company. Thus, I will not recommend this company.

Laid back enviornment

Relax and laid back work enviornment1 week Christmas shutdown9/80 scheduleflexible workgood team memberscompany really care about employees in pandemic

Pros

9/80 schedule

Cons

No growth

Good place to work.... if you keep a brown nose

I applied to work at Caterpillar in Athens because I was new to town and they seemed like they paid well with opportunities for advancement. Training was a breeze and led me to believe that I would succeed in advancing there. Once I was out of training however the immediate problems were apparent, I was given little to no training in my assembly station, and was told to watch and figure it out with just one example, and then to continue on my own. This typically would be a nonissue in an average assembly position but not so when dealing with working on multiple and various parts on a small tractor and under a strict deadline with heavily enforced procedures. Regardless I eventually got the hang of things and started to do well in my station and even got a couple others in my area down, which leads to pay raises as you get verified in working and learning multiple stations. Shortly after this I was moved to another area (which was managed by a different floor manager, and a different team lead under them) as they were short-staffed and I proved that I could learn quickly. I noticed in this area that people were overly nice to team leads and management as if they were always walking on eggshells around them lest they incur their wrath.Regardless, I once again learned my new station and was even operating ahead of schedule. Apparently I was doing so well, that I should be placed in other people's stations who were falling behind in order to pick up their slack while they would get to slack off, perhaps it was just a coincidence that these same people seemed to be favorites of the -

Pros

4 day work week M-T, Good holiday PTO for Christmas and New Years

Cons

Horrible management, Extremely toxic work environment.

Challenging place to work something is ALWAYS On Fire! So you Dive In

The role of section manager is aggressive and not for the mediocre mindset. Salary Grade ranges from 19-22 most are 21's. The most aggressive department and the highest stressed areas are the supply chain and logistics SM roles. The easiest are operations and or individual contributor roles. Your skills will quantify in these roles. Systems, processes, development, people management, and safety skills are going to grow and will improve your value in the industry of manufacturing. The hardest part of the job is keeping up and still managing to stay a float. Merit is over rated and basically is not fair at any point in any role there. Caterpillar has the worst rating process in manufacturing. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people. The culture of Caterpillar is different from when I first started but then most cultures are in jeopardy. The current culture is Safety First, Quality Always, everyone is equal. More like build it at whatever cost, correctly and don't get hurt. You should spend your time ticking boxes and checking off goal marks to get your points as your work efforts are not rewarded not like they once were. It is an excellent place to work. Loyalty is not valued directly from the mouth of my manager, Get in get your experience and go on with your goals. No longer is it a company to set roots down with. I like Caterpillar but something better and I would greatly consider a new venture. Had you asked me this ten years back I would have told you No way am I ever leaving this place.

Pros

People, Products, Brand Recognition

Cons

Long hours, Unpaid OT, Job Classes are not equal

Mid-management heavy

There is a significant volume of mid level managers compared to workforce responsible for performing job functions. This often results in in being micromanaged.

Pros

Healthcare

Cons

It was a new exsperince and i really enjoyed it

I enjoyed learning to build trucks I grew up playing with as toys, It's a clean place to work at pay is great . Just hated when their was nothing to.

Mostly supportive culture and people

In similar roles across multiple departments, I found support and guidance from my peers, though sometimes you have to seek those peers out due to management structures that could leave you siloed. Work environment was a little stuffy and old-school, but also good-natured and friendly.

Pros

Good pay, especially with low cost of living, supportive coworkers

Cons

Sometimes had to figure out a lot on your own due to odd departmental structure

Vacation time , benefits

Cat is okay to work for as long as you stay to yourself don't try and make friends with anyone !!! Their pay needs to start at $18 for the associates because of the type of physical labor....

Great Pay with a Great Company

Interning for a fortune 100 Company helps you in the long run while giving you great pay. The name along will help you get interviews and increase future salary. They have a great internship program

Pros

High Pay

Cons

Boring Work

Jobs at Caterpillar

See more jobs

Old Job, but was fun

Learned quite a bit throughout my years there. Sad that is was divested. Great people to work with and that is what I miss most of all. Overall pretty good

I learned everything in caterpillar like ..how Machine are work, I'm learned what inside in industries, how engine are work, part assembly and more.

Pros

Free Foods and Transports

Cons

Day Time

They are quick to judge

Alot of drama. Good pay and benefits. Work alot of overtime. Hardly work 8 hours unless maybe on a Saturday. Most time it's 10. Only get 2 breaks a 20 min and a 25 min.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Mandatory overtime and long days

Sad and disheartening

If you’re anywhere close to being on the floor it’s dull and repetitive, pay is terrible, management tries but gets snuffed out by higher ups. Don’t work here

Pros

Cheap benefits

Cons

Short breaks, lackluster work

Job is terrible

People suck, job is horrible and the pay is below par. I would never work for this job again. DO NOT WORK FOR CATAPILLER. It was a huge waste of time

Pros

Nothing at all

Cons

People, pay, everything you can imagine

Productive place to work and flexible schedule.

A typical day at caterpillar consist of working 12hr shifts. You are required to meet productivity goals but are given 3 months to learn and meet the goals.

Pros

Three 12 hour workdays and four days off. Great benefits.

Cons

Long days

No place for young people

Treated like a second class citizen by managers and full-time cat staff. No job rotation. No job prospects Not allowed to progress or train in other areas

Pros

4 day a week

Cons

No motivation in company

bad

very bad because this job requires you to be very physical hard labor all day and with littlepay. 15 an hour for warehouse job isnt goin to cut it and people need way more money to thrive with

Pros

you work ethic

Cons

mantadory overtime

Intérimaire

Ne jamais rentré en tant qu'interimaire car aucun aventage déjà que la paye ne dépasse pas le smic... Si vous faites l'erreur de rentrer en tant qu'interimaire vive les paye a 900 balle car l'entreprise est tout le temps fermé, si ce n'est pas à cause des jours fériés ou des ponts il y aura autre chose !!!

Pros

Bonne accueil

Cons

Fermer trop souvent

Management is bad and selfish

work culture is good and but management is real bad especially IT sector , Low quality of architects , product management is very bad, no forecast and future development of the tools they purchased

Pros

Freedom of work

Cons

Management and technical architects

Good Benefits, poor management

The benefits are great. Management is terrible. Its getting worse by the year. Your just a badge number. Great time off. Great insurance benefits. 24 hours pto every year. People start out with 2 weeks vacation.

Pros

Time off. Good benefits.

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2,713