Corning

Corning Employee Reviews

Get to learn a lot of things in a short span of time and working in team is what you get to learn from here and management is awesome
Pros:Good work-life balance if you are in plant engineeringReasonable job securityCons:Business travel required for corporate engineering.Non-value add projects are a major issue in corporate engineering.
Really enjoyed the work here, I had a great experience with the group I was working in. The only real drawback I experienced is the location, which is why I would hesitate to work here long term. I could however see it being nice for someone wanting to raise a family in a small community.
Pros
Welcoming environment, heavy investment in R&D
Cons
I believe corning is a great place to work. While all normal manufacturing needs are required (overtime, consistent work schedule, 12 and 8 hour shifts), they try to help their people where possible and do nice things for their employees. Pay is on the high end for this area. Communication could be better but overall I would recommend others to work here.
Pros
Benefits, Paid Holidays, Break schedule, Overtime
Cons
Overtime (sometimes)
Mgmt lacks integrity and professionalism. A culture of abusive behavior. Gaslighting is daily. Layoffs common. Systems/processes are outdated and inefficient. Run!
Pros
Cons
culture, management, toxic behavior, unstable employment, lack of integrity and outdated systems and processes
if you get a blue badge your treated like a second class citizen, the big wigs are rude and nasty and really have nothing to bring to the table but a piece of paper from Harvard or Yale. the contractors hired through CTG-Nesco-TEK systems-or any other placement company are paid just a smidge above minimum wage and crank out helpdesk tickets all day, most of the techs hired understand the technology very well but corning puts former HR and operations managers in charge of IT contractors and they really don't know the first thing about Information technology but they feel that they can counsel you on this subject so its the blind leading the blind. they also felt that it was a good idea to ship all the IT jobs over seas with the partnership they established with Wipro. So as an former information technology contractor i recommend that people who want to look out for their career avoid corning like the plague!
Pros
the commute
Cons
breaks snatched by management at will, incompetent leadership
The company has a lot to offer. Will meet good people and unprofessional people. There may be opportunities for a new position in the company, but you may be stuck where you got in.
Pros
Fortune 500 company
Cons
May get stuck in current role
Pros: -Great company culture that genuinely wanted interns to succeed. -Compensated well and great locations to work in.Cons:- Work I did wasn't exactly what I wanted to do, although that was made clear to me in the job offer.
Pros
Ping Pong Table (at my location)
Cons
Cubicle Farm
Don’t work in the chemical analysis group. You will be nothing more than a glorified technician, with every moment of your time needing to be filled out in time sheets. Everyone, from technicians to PhDs. And upper “management” has their expectations. Quantity over quality, although good luck getting promoted unless that work is “impactful”.And, they only let go 200+ people in May, because of their own poor management and financial outlook.
Pros
Cheap part of NYS
Cons
Nepotism and politics run rampant there due to the fact Corning is the only real employer in town and everyone either works there or knows someone close work there. There is no clear roadmap to enter new technological era. What's gonna happen after iPhone and substrates/filters for internal combustion engines?
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Corning?
I was a contractor in Corning and traveled from the West Coast. I didn’t know an easy Microsoft program Microsoft program excel based. I was up to speed on the program within and verified by coworkers that I New the program well enough for the work. Management would not give me work.
Cons
Watch Your back.
Work life balance is great especially if you have the right manager. Pay/promotions are below average but the rest of the perks are nice. Expect to get laid off at some point unrelated to job performance.
Typical production support type role for plant engineers. The IT technology is very basic, lots of work with excel and access. Work will go unappreciated or claimed by others if you don't document it and promote yourself. Constant risk of layoffs no matter how senior you are.
Pros
Working inside in a clean environment, cafeteria is good, great work/life balance, interesting work
Cons
Layoff ever 3-4 years due to erratic business cycles, limited growth opportunities unless your one of the chosen few, lower salary than other manufacturers
The company is yet another example of a place that talks a Lot about retaining talent, but they do not walk the walk. There is no doubt that those with long tenure and leaders are in a club That is mysteriously open to select members only, based on cronyism and favoritism. Don’t be fooled by the so called code of ethics and values....it’s BS at end of day.
Pros
Compensation and Benefits
Cons
Shallow and unappreciative leaders with flawed vision
Great company to work for with great people. The benefits are second to none and there are great opportunities to grow and train as a new engineer. There is good engagement from supervisors and the level of support is excellent for employees
Corning is athe leader in whatever they do. I have learned a lot in the role of Project lead,regarding innovation,project management,technical process excellence having worked with Global Excellence Lead and the collaborative team of 15 members. I would accept my next assignments with the CAPEX and facilities engineering group or any other group for this company of repute.They are the leaders in innovation.They are notch level company in the US and internationally. Very profeesional in their approach.I got the opportunity to deliver projects and was very satisfied working for my superiors namely Manager and Director.Corning CEO is the best.
Pros
Excellent lunch room and menus
Cons
One can manage time working long hours
*Good challenges daily to resolve tooling and equipment issues.*Work on Product Quality improvement projects*Work on cost saving projects*Managing engineering and Quality team is a great challenge and enjoying it since I build a good team
When I took this position I was excited to join an organization with the standing to be a great workplace. Corporate values dictate that it should be a progressive, engaging place of employment- but in practice it is the complete opposite. Management's actual practices and leadership encourage poor behaviors and low production. The poor work-life balance encourages the "factory zombie" mentality. I hate the fad terms, but the plant I worked at ticked all of the "toxic" workplace checkboxes.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Lack of leadership, no work-life balance
Must work there for several years to have a chance to move up. Can get laid off if work is slow. Pay is good for the area. Hard to get used to the day/night switching.
Only perks are you'll definitely make decent money and have great benefits (thanks to the union). Rotating twelve hour shifts are absolutely no joke. When business is booming overtime can be at 50%.
Pros
Cons
Uncertain/Mandatory forced overtime
Upper management very poor. My immediate supervisor was well known to have inadequate leadership skills but was allowed to continue even after all direct reports requested to be transferred. Hard to work with a supervisor who claimed to be always right. One can figure out very early in your career if you’re in the advancement lane; otherwise find another employer.
Pros
Benefits, learning potential and growth
Cons
Management, management and...you guessed it...management
  1. Employee Reviews