Corning

Corning Employee Reviews in Hickory, NC

I really liked my jobs at Corning things I was already familiar with. I did not like management getting in click groups with employees I felt some people that were dang good at their jobs were overlooked because of favoritism. I’ve been in management most of my life and never worked on that level . I separated friendship always when I was on the job. I worked my butt of for Corning in many areas to get hired on permanently and a ddeco was a nightmare. I would have loved to still be working for the company as a whole. The IT department was great I enjoyed working with them as well. I hope that some of the management has changed and have become more appreciative of good employees.
Pros
The three two two three schedule was nice
Cons
Some poor management not all but some.
Corning is a great company with cutting edge technology. Corning plants are very clean and organized due to there 5’s and lean mfg programs. Personal Safety is the top priority for Corning Leadership Team.
Benefits
Cons
Overall the jobes they ask you to do are not hard and the tasks can be done on time (most of the time). But if you are in maintenance do not expect a lot of support or management of any kind on nights.
Pros
Good pay, benefits are great
Cons
No support
Corning was a great place to work! The experience that I received here prepared me better for working in a lab setting. The only down side is that I was never offered a job working directly for corning it was always through a recruiting agency. And there are also a lot of cliques. If you didn't know someone who worked within Corning already your chances of getting hired on permanently were slim to none.
The people are very acceptable no matter what enthinicity , race , religion. They are all about culture. They are very family friendly as well. The communication is very professional. They keep up with stats and issues that need to be resolved within the company. They are all about your safety.
If you take a job as a temp working day shift you are stuck there as a temp even if your manager wants to hire you. Corning HR requires posting the job internally before it's filled. If any Corning employee applies for the job they get priority over the temp! Even if the Corning employee doesn't know how to do the job! HR's opinion is to have the temp train the Corning employee and then fire the temp!
It takes awhile for someone to get hired on. Once hired on the salary and benefits are great. You have to be able to stand for 12 hrs., and you have two paid 30 minute breaks.
The Optical group in Corning Inc is a well-oiled machine with established culture and relationships. Its a terrific place, if nothing changes. Challenging to break-in.
It was clean, climate controlled, well paced. Got to move through the building and not stay in one place. Learned all the ins and outside of everything. Just absolutely a fun great place to work all together, even as an intern!
Pros
The people, everything was clean, edible food at the cafeteria, excellent work benefits
Cons
I was only an intern
This company is the most disrespectful and unfeeling I have ever worked for. I had a few instances where I had to go to the hospital for family emergencies, let the proper people know, even got a note from the doctor saying why I missed work and what days I was occupied. The company terminated my contract immediately reasoning that if I had to go to the doctor I should have let them know ahead of time. A family member had a stroke. Can't give them notice on that.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Managers and higher ups are too disconnected from their employees, they have no compassion or care
Corning was an amazing work place to work, no heavy labor, and great pay. I couldn't work the hours, but i would recommend Corning to any and everybody.
Corning has competitive pay, excellent benefits. They also have many job different opportunities. Some jobs are harder than others. They run on 12 hrs shifts 223.
unless someone took you under their wing, you didn't have a chance, very competitive, fast paced, you never knew from one day to the next if you had a job or not...business had slowed at the time, they laid a lot of us off at one time..they were bad for that..
Pros
climate controlled
Cons
fast paced, ppl would not help, bad atmosphere, etc..
They have team leaders and managers' poor communicator between management. They will micromanage every order and keystroke. When you need assistance, management are missing in action or will not back you up. If they don't like you, you are gone. Keeps people around who suck up and yet don’t perform. Customer Service is not allowed to work from home, however if they like you, you will have a laptop. Manages through fear to lose your job. Expect two or three years on a temp agency before hired. I saw people with great years (15 +) of experience just walk out. Co-workers are great!
Pros
Gym, great benefits, rewards
Cons
Stress level high, bullie managers, no flex time
A typical day at work is setting the line up, making sure everything is in tact so the line can run a good cable. I've learned how to set up a line and operate as well while just being a temp. Management is it rough the edges as supervisor and coordinator hoover over their employees like children. The workplace is sometimes messy as a lot of people look to get you fired. The hardest part about the job is trying not to fall asleep. The most enjoyable part is the days off.
Pros
Days off
Cons
No breaks, Treated like a kid, supervisor
Company went downhill after dot com crash and Lean Engineers came in. No Christmas parties, no company picnics. Started worry about employees clocking in 2 minutes too early.
Pros
good employees to work with
Cons
rarely promoted from within, started to try to hire from outside the US for "equality"
Pay is great for some and not great for others - it's not consistent. Good clean environment with great people. Great advancement in certain areas - just depends on where you are at.
Management is lacking skill set to deal with employees. Also, operations manager is way too young to be in his position. Ribbon manager is a complete uneducated moron.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
enjoyed the day-to-day and the special projects. The management was good. the most enjoyable part of the job is the people. All the people are very kinds and easy to work with
The only negative thing I have to say about Corning is that even though I am under a 365 day contract they could get rid of me at any time. Not because I have done anything wrong but because they are no longer in need of me anymore. This would also come with no notice, as I have known others that this has happened to. One previous worker was headed home for the day and received a phone call on his way home saying- "Please do not come in to work tomorrow, your services are no longer needed". This new came after a promise from the company that he would be made permanent after his 2nd term contract was completed. Other than that the company is great and for the few lucky ones that are permanent full time they have been here for 20+ years and have not one bad thing to say.
Corning has great pay and overall the best health insurance that you can find in North Carolina. The people are nice, but the work schedule is (by personal opinion) not that good.
Pros
Has cafeteria that is open both day and night
Cons
odd work schedule