Corning

Corning Employee Reviews for Associate

I believe corning is a great place to work. While all normal manufacturing needs are required (overtime, consistent work schedule, 12 and 8 hour shifts), they try to help their people where possible and do nice things for their employees. Pay is on the high end for this area. Communication could be better but overall I would recommend others to work here.
Pros
Benefits, Paid Holidays, Break schedule, Overtime
Cons
Overtime (sometimes)
Must work there for several years to have a chance to move up. Can get laid off if work is slow. Pay is good for the area. Hard to get used to the day/night switching.
Its a circus here, bring popcorn. The social club with a payday. The pay sucks, the swing shift sucks especially when you think about it and the pay. Not worth the sleep deprivation. Management level doesn't leave out the circus aspect as they have their own tent. Peers with a little extra pay for extra duties are on power trips and use that trip to bully. This is a union job which means you have another force to fight for you as an employee. That's what it's supposed to mean, at least. The hardest part of the job is the hours you have to work. Take your chances, step right up, to one of the most spectacular shows you could ever witness! The most enjoyable part of the job is hearing the door lock beep when my badge unlocks the door to leave. This place has more drama than Dallas. I will be looking elsewhere for work.
If you take a job as a temp working day shift you are stuck there as a temp even if your manager wants to hire you. Corning HR requires posting the job internally before it's filled. If any Corning employee applies for the job they get priority over the temp! Even if the Corning employee doesn't know how to do the job! HR's opinion is to have the temp train the Corning employee and then fire the temp!
I was a Fiber Product Associate. At the Wilmington location. This is a job where learning as much as you can, and getting experience in as many different areas as you can is more important than how hard you work. Its a 12 hour shift, so it's a marathon, not a race. That being said, your productivity is monitored. So in your first 90 days be on your toes. As long as you are consistently improving, you'll be fine.Also you probationary period is 90 shifts, not 90 calendar days. So depending on how much overtime you take, it could be 6 months. Spending as much time as you do with your shift you establish strong relationships. And you get plenty of time to learn other people's working style. If you are adaptable and easy going you should find this pretty easy. If you are controlling and micromanaging, you are going to need to bite your tongue and keep it to yourself. The shifts are too long and you work too often to be getting on people's nerves. The worst part of the job is the overtime. It seems like its never there when you want it, and always there on the one day you have an obligation or commitment. It is mandatory overtime too, so if you can't trade it or give it away there's nothing you can do. If you have a doctor's appointment you cannot reschedule or that is very important, you may leave work or show up late to go to it, but you must return to work.
Pros
Excellent pay. Work is easy once you are used to it.
Cons
Ruthless Schedule.
this place is a joke...management here is the worst thing at this place if you happen to mess up once they will try to walk you out that door even if you have no control over thing it will always be the associate fault.
Pros
money
Cons
managment
I was told this company was very family friendly when I was going through the interview process. After getting hired on I realized that my co-workers were my "new" family because those were the only people I ever interacted with. Don't be fooled by the 7,3,3,1 days off on your schedule because on those days off you can be put on mandatory overtime list.
the hardest part of this job was not knowing how long I was going to be employed! the most enjoyable part of the job were my coworkers and supervisors!
I enjoyed working here. I learned a next job that was challenging to me. Had it ups and downs of course, but I enjoyed it
very prejudice against disabaled workers and blacks, false accusations are accepte and blacks are treated harshly