Foreign & Commonwealth Office

Foreign & Commonwealth Office Employee Reviews

Great place to work in terms of flexibility Especially if you have kids

I particularly love the flexibility and team effort. However, some of the management can upgrade their knowledge on knowing a-bit more of the job they’ve been employed to do and how to work with and manage people effectively.

Stressful

Shift patten hard work long hours working nights and weekends leaves little time for social activity , management mainly e forces so culture of do as I say or else prevailed little sympathy for peoples mental health or stress

Pros

Good money free coffee

Cons

24/7 shifts

Good to begin with but it did not last.

There was much that I liked about working for in, for example, the Eastern Research Group and the lLanguage Group FCO between 1997 and 2005. I think some people I worked with were appall[ng - there was a great deal of political correctness and hypocrisy. Anyway I was very happy for a while, but that happiness didn't last. I was

Bright horizon not good to work for

Not friendly staff . Dishwasher didn't work for weeks. Did not get the wages I was offered at the job offer . When the fire alarm went off I was left in the kitchen where u couldn't hear the alarm as I was new I didn't know the procedure . I was a long way from home and I felt so lonely.

Pros

Felt privalaged to work foreign and commonwealth office as my dad also worked for

Cons

Not friendly staff felt very uncomfortable at lunch break

I can’t complain

I love my job and I really can’t complain. I feel very fortunate to be in the position I am in. My colleagues are very friendly and my immediate coworkers are awesome, feels like a team.

Pros

Flexible schedule, secure work environment, low pressure

Cons

Some would say pay but I AM satisfied with my salary, some positions not as easy going as others

Poor compensation. Not competitive for the area.

Good place for your FIRST job out of school to get some experience and move on. Not great if you have solid experience as the compensation is crazy low as for DC. It is a shame as the Embassy could benefit from a great talent if the FCDO was willing to pay competitive salaries. Bullying managers and upper management who waits until problematic managers's tours are over rather than take any action.

Pros

Pretty good leave policies

Cons

Compensation, poor promotion potential

can be fun.

As a driver working for foreign/Commonwealth office, it can be very demanding.working long hours to reach a save place to park up n a hgv vehicle.While carrying Diplomatic freight overseas.

Pros

Cons

can be, driving overseas

Talented colleagues

The job I performed was not that inspiring, but I was very much aware of the talent of the permanent staff I was working with. Most of them managed to wear their talent lightly.

Pros

Talented colleagues

Cons

Mundane job

Nice working environment

I worked for the British embassy in Madrid for about 5 years. Overall it's a nice place to work and everyone is friendly. Some people were a bit stuffy and snobbish but that's the government for you I guess..

Great environment and staff

Relaxed place great vibe great boss and you are on your own got to produce your goodsLovely garden for fresh produce and fish from boats to your kitchenFriendly island folk staff great to work with and always got a smile and a pleasure to work with

Pros

Tea only no meals

Cons

Relaxed work like home

A culture unlike any other

Every day was a learning experience. There are endless opportunities to help out and a huge flexibility in approach and management. They are open to new ideas and constantly looking to improve.

Pros

Management flexibility

Cons

Speed of change can be slow

Unnecessary challenges to meet zero standards

Opportunistic bullying is rife within the organization. Individual attention to detail is ignored in favor of corporate ignorance & lack of attention to mission values & end result. Not a good life style or work balance, expect to experience family issues, alcoholism, divorce & a complex destructive lifestyle

Pros

Institions former capabilities & kudos

Cons

Non motivated freestyle bureaucracy

Don't waste time

Unless you are a blowhard, just look elsewhere. you will have better experience, better pay, and a better sense of self. This place will pummel you into submission until you are crying in the bathroom, barely able to make it through the day.

Pros

Looks good on a resume

Cons

Essentially Dante's Inferno

Excellent place to work.

I worked there for 1 year, fixed term contract. I enjoyed my time and met a range of different people. It was a collaborative and supportive organisation.

Demanding and Rewarding Work Environment

Staff have the opportunity to gain international exposure in a very stimulating environment. The environment provides for broad development of skills and expertise in a supportive envorinment. Unfortunately career advancement opportunities are limited.

Pros

International exposure, work-life balance and competitive fringe benefits

Cons

Below-average salaries and limited careed advancement opportunities.

Productive and Fun workplace

Hard working but friendly culture. Was involved with both Agile and PRINCE2 run projects. Lots of opportunity to get involved with a wide variety of different projects and work with cross-organisational teams as well as external providers.

Challenging and Varied

Challenging and potentialy impactful working on implementation of UK foreign policy. Opportunity to learn languages, build great cross-cultural relationships, travel and have unique experiences. May not leave you with skils to qualify you for private sector roles. Not well paid in the UK but decent packages are available overseas.

Productive and fun workplace

A Nice friendly atmosphere where everyone is working towards the same goal, working for the Foreign & Commonwealth Office. The workplace is similar to other government departments.

Administratve Officer

opportunity to learn and work with people of different backgrounds. prospects to woek overseas and promotion. Flexible working hours good leave . company Pension and season ticket loan.

Great place, bad salaries

Really top place to work, this is a great foundation and finish for a civil servant. Professional and respected throughout the country. Highly recommended.

Great place to work. Never had a better job or environment to work in. The people were great and the hours good. The pay I miss more then the job but when it’s good pay you can’t knock it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Foreign & Commonwealth Office. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?