Gensler

Gensler Job Security & Advancement reviews

I worked for Gensler for 5 years going on 6 before I was laid off due to the pandemic. I had an amazing experience with the firm and was disappointed to be laid off in April of 2020. The Treasury department was a great team, led by a great manager, who cared about growing individuals professionally. Of course we had our bad days, just like any other profession, but they were often followed by excellent days!
Everyone is nice and I really grow from the job. Sad to leave the firm.Feels there is an open place to discuss career goals and life planning. the organization is not that flat but everyone is friendly.
Pros
great learning experience, flexible time, nice people
Cons
Layoffs come quick
Awesome people culture! Large project portfolio. Lack of advancement in the Project Accounting Roles. Takes years to become titled and not based on merit but how long you have been with the company as a last resort to keep you. Beautiful office locations!
Pros
Culture, Bi- Annual Bonuses, Events and Celebration, office locations
Cons
Lack of career growth, no titles, lower compensation
Great benefits with perks! Lots of lunch and learns and good snacks to keep you energized. Management needs more work since moving up is rare. You get to work on various projects, which makes it exciting.
Pros
Great perks with work / life balance
Cons
Management needs to better. Moving up is rare
Everyone who works here seems to love what they do. Lots of opportunities for growth and development. Great work play balance. Some difficult personalities, but that's expected with every job.
Pros
-"lunch and learns" -Great healthcare benefits
Cons
Extremely busy at times
Interns are treated well everyone at Gensler treats you with respect. What I noticed during my time there is that this place is highly political. They have different seniority levels like Associate, Senior Associate, and, Principle. Basically, in order to become an Associate, you will need to voted in and then approved by upper management, its more of a popularity vote and need to be chosen in order to increase your seniority. Other than that Gensler has a good culture everyone there is happy and they know how to treat their employees right. Its a good place to work but an awful place to move up in your career without having to kiss up to people.
I worked extreme overtime hours constantly. Even though I put in the extra hours, I was still laid off when the economy tanked. I did not feel valued at Gensler and if you weren't part of a certain clique, promotions did not happen for you.
Pros
The name - Gensler on your resume
Cons
hours, workload & clique-ish work environment
It is hard to know where to start in reviewing this company. For years I knew it as the top star in the architecture world, the company that if you were hired there, you would know you had made it. But how can I begin to describe the realization that it has become "the best" through a culture of favoritism, fakeness, free work, and fudging the numbers? If you aren't one of the chosen few from the time you're hired, you might as well kiss your career growth goodbye. If you are good-looking, have good fashion sense, and are at least mediocre at your job, you will be client-facing and get to take all of the credit. If not, you will just be a minion supporting those chosen few. You see, Gensler is all about "Form Over Function". They want everything to look great - their numbers, their offices, their culture - but in reality it's mostly a facade. Their profits look so amazing because they have their designers work a lot of unpaid hours. Their offices might look great but just spend a day or two in them and you'll find plenty of things that were terribly designed or just don't work. The culture seems to be a big hit, but there is a definite underlining of that being just for show, as well. One of the biggest disappointments was the complete lack of empathy among local leadership. I understand that you have a business to run, but connecting with your employees is an INVESTMENT. Listening to employee concerns might actually be useful - after all, you would have only hired them if they were intelligent, right? (Currently it seems that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" only if - more...
Pros
The benefits are fine but nothing to sing about
Cons
Toxic culture, Lack of leadership skills in management
Gensler is the kind of place to work for a short period as a stepping stone in your career. Bullying among management is not uncommon. Great culture among the underlings but would not recommend if you’re after longer term career progression
Pros
3x bonuses a year in UK
Cons
No corporate governance, (private company), so little accountability where management is concerned, bullying not uncommon, 3x CEOs resulted in a lack of clear strategic direction
It’s a fact that Gensler pumps out great work. While it is a great learning environment for junior to intermediate professionals, if you are not ‘anointed’ early on, then you remain a cog in the machine, with no chance to move up within the organization. Traits that get recognized and rewarded are aggression, dishonesty, and abusive leadership
Pros
Great learning environment.
Cons
Not the place for long term professional growth for 80% of staff.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Gensler?
Was there as a temp and found the experience ok. The Principles were mediocre the teams were hard working. Overall if I had a choice to go full-time I would pass.
Gensler has diverse project type and talented designer. They focus on employee grow and continue professional education. The work/life balance is good with good employee benefit The only thing I see room for improvement is there is too much office politic. Sometime, office politic can impact people's motivation. Your promotion is not too much about your performance, but it is depends on who you know in the company.
My time at Gensler was great. there is a reason why a lot of people come back to work for this company. Not just the pay but the culture, diversity, and innovation.
Great opportunities in many practice areas, which I found most do not take advantage of. Finally achieved balance of design and technical knowledge and more base building and ground up work.
Pros
See review comments.
Cons
Difficult promotion track process.
The nationalities of the employees are very diverse coming from all over the world. The workers are friendly and very professional. Their outputs are impressive.
Working at Gensler has been a positive experience for my career. As an intern, I was exposed to different techniques and experience that has improved my skills and communication. At Gensler, they care about what their interns think about and allow us to give our opinions.
Gensler is a great place to get exposure to lots of clients and learn from industry leaders, especially early in your career. If you have transferrable skills in strategy or graphic design, I would caution staying longer than 3-4 years, though, as there is little room for innovation and career advancement. There are a ton of social events, but the actual "work culture" is very hierarchical despite claiming to be "flat" and there is no room to fail forward, continuously learn, or really be pushed out of your comfort zone.
Great Benefits: Full Medical, Dental, and Vision, for employee and family. Great Work-Life balance: Flexible schedule. Great environment and culture: Lots of perks to make employees life and work easier. Learning and growth opportunities Great open door policy: management is accessible and willing to assist at all levels.
My current supervisor is terrible. All other aspects are okay, They have a great culture with the exception of my current supervisor, whom you can never please.
I worked here for a year. Things start out great, but, you will work remotely under pretentious Architects & Designers who are mainly there to support other technical employees and not Admin.’s. Most managers are all friends and unless you “play nice,” or “drink the cool aid,” they will turn against you and support one another. Colleagues will be generally nice, but, some won’t say anything to you because you are not in a high ranking role. The atmosphere is smiles on the outside, but, fake underneath and if you aren’t liked by members of the team, they will make you feel uncomfortable. People will not have your back. 50 percent, or more, of your role will be cleaning up after other people. If you complain, they will pacify you, but, your role is viewed as expendable and you will still be expected to do it. There is no promotion beyond Studio Coordinator for this role, in this city. There are lot’s of events and if you want to be promoted, you are expected to attend. Bottom line is…if you can play nice (be fake) and keep a low profile, you should be successful.
Pros
Most people are generally friendly, Food/Wine readily available, Fun Culture (at first), Fun Activities/Events, Nice Bonus
Cons
No real support for receptionist. You will be considered expendable, behind your back, with a smile to your face.
To much drama and way to much office politics for a small office. Office and the greater Gensler Midwest Region are poorly run and managed. There is no room for advancement.
  1. Job Security & Advancement