Goodyear logo
Goodyear

Goodyear Employee Reviews for Service Manager

Found 97 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,472 reviews

Fast paced with plenty of learning opportunities.

I loved this job and gave it my everything with intentions of moving up to corporate. Bad management, more specifically a horrible store manager, saw to it that those dreams were crushed. Job happiness is really dependent on which store you work at and who is your manager. Tech roles can be lucrative, entry positions can be treated poorly but if you can learn quick that will go a long way. Sales are under payed(well, a lot of roles there are) considering they are the face of the store. Upper management should be more personal and understand how shops actually operate on a day to day basis. That would go a long way with the numbers expectations. If you are a certified tech I would consider this place, and if you are car savvy as well as people friendly, I would recommend it. I miss it everyday.

Pros

Knowledge, Overtime to be had, can be good money.

Cons

Benefits are pricey, really bad store managers, entry level sales and tech underpaid for what they do.

No work/life balance

I WORKED for Goodyear Retail for 8 long years! You are expected to work until you drop. Once they have broken you your gone. I was injured on the job. After PT and some procedures I was given a lifting restriction of 35lbs, so I was terminated. I was a service manager?? It was a blessing that it happened and I'm out of that company!! You will be expected to work extremely long hours (50-60 a week) and how ever much you give it's not enough. Your kids grow up without you and if your married it can destroy that.it's work , eat, sleep, work. There is no appreciation from Goodyear headquarters Akron Ohio! You earn vacation however taking it's another story because the store is never staffed enough to take time off. I say stay away! There are much better companies to work for!

Pros

Cons

Everything else!

Working hard

Typical day coming in answering the phone, finding parts, pulling parts, cashing customers out. Learned how to install tires. Hardest part of the job is not being organized. Most enjoyable part is the customers

Pros

Overtime

Cons

No family time

Keeping a family business afloat

I truly enjoyed Deckard Tire Company, because I had the opportunity to really dig in and become a part of something, A small, mom-and-pop shop, we all worked hard, and at the end of the day we felt like we had accomplished something. Our customers were our friends, not just targets we were shooting at, and our goal was always to provide a valuable service and make them happy, not just separate them from their money.

Great co worker and great benefits.

Work here for over 15 years, co worker are great, management in sales and service are great. Great lunch room. Was for 1st real job and I learn a lot ..

Pros

great hours

Cons

great heath care ....

7 days a week

A typical day starts with Night Cage Inventory Night Cage is used by tech for after hour services Each day the inventory of tires is checked against the system. Weekly Cycle counts of products from Lights to Oil Vehicle safety checks are daily Calibration of air gauges is daily Morning safety briefing and stretches to keep a person limber.

Pros

satisfied customers

Cons

Too short staffed, not enough quality of persons found

I have learned a lot while working at Goodyear. They taught me how to become an exceptional salesman and there loyalty to there staff and customer is unsurpassed. I worked my way up from salesman to service manager in only 2 years and would have continued to climb if I remained employed there. It was hard work but Goodyear pays there employees well.

Pros

Pay was great

Cons

A great company to work for.

As with Central Tyre, this too was a great company to work for, I had great fun with excellent staff and a great manager. It was fun as a floating manager, got to see how different branches do things, as every manager has their own style. Its was a shame that they went the same way as all the other big tyre companies, closing their branches, Goodyear did franchise their branches off.

Pros

We were left to get on with the job and promote our branch our own way.

Cons

great people in work place

service manager ordering parts for techs service writer selling work calling customers back payroll and locking up store

Pros

great company

Cons

hours

A company in desperate need of an overall. New leadership for a 21st century.

The best part of the day was working with the customers. The rest of the day was busy spent trying to remain calm and not get frustrated by management. A total lack of support and dinosaur system for software made it very difficult to do a great job.

Pros

Ability to work on own vehicle.

Cons

management, software, work/life balance

Jobs at Goodyear

Service Manager positions
See more jobs

decent money ... upper management needs help

Upper management has no knowledge of how to work with people or customer service. Daily work at the store was great... until you had to deal with the DM. They did not want to train you..just throw you in and let you figure things out as a manager. In my opinion , not the way to do things.

Pros

compensation

Cons

uppermanagement

Had it's good and bad moments

Compensation package was pretty good, and so was job security. However this job is all consuming. As a service manager you have no outside life due to working 6 days a week and people calling you constantly on your day off.

Safe environment, Productivity and customer satisfaction

Presently i work as a service manager, my job description is supervising the workers, and the day to day operation in the shop. I am also responsible for estimating repairs and advising customers on the importance of repairs and recommendations. I also work closely with my technicians on issues for best results.One of my main goal as a Service Manager to my customers is to efficiently get their services done in a timely manner.

work life balance

Good place to work, not much time for family or personal things. Team members are great but it is very difficult to take care of anything other than goodyear's business. Mandatory 6-day work weeks make it difficult to have a life or tend to the needs of children. Holidays are mandatory and weekends are mandatory, unless leave is scheduled.

Pros

good team members

Cons

Good people, fast paced and fun. It was a joy making customers happy.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Short lunch

Something till something comes along that is better

After reading all of these comments I can see a big different’s when it comes to working in the Goodyear retail stores compared to working in other departments of the Goodyear company. I have read most of the reviews for retail store employees and I can relate to most of them. I m a service manage doing the job of the store manager and sales staff and I get paid ten cent more than our lead tech which isn’t much to begin with. The thing that hits home the most is the store manager gets all the glory because the suits don’t really know what’s going on or maybe they don’t care. I think that my sales should speak for something. The pay sucks for the techs also and there is not much room to move up in the company since they don’t higher from within like they state in the job listing. The prices are also out of this world and trying to sell stuff without discounting it is impossible to say the least. Tires can also be a hard sale when Goodyear sell tires to other companies and them company cuts our throats on them since we can’t sell them below what the store pay for them. Then when something goes wrong with the tires we give to other chains out of our inventory we get stuck eating them. While, we got the suit wondering why tires sales are down. All the while we are told we earned a customer for life. But after they pay maybe 300 dollars for a sale that should have been close to a grand they take their vehicles to another place to get all their service done. We may only see them for the free rotate and balance and nothing more. Go and try and suggest something -

Pros

Sundays off

Cons

stressful

Being a Service manager

I have Managed a crew of ten people as well as Served as a liaison between technicians and customers I have also Selected, coached, lead, train and supervised vehicle technicians

Great place. Family owned.

Simple and straight forward work day. Come in. Sell stuff. Meet great people. Have fun. Make money. Go home. Store management was great when i was there. Not sure about now. I enjoy selling and meeting people and developing a relationship which is why i enjoyed the job.

Pros

You meet and build relationships with new people everyday.

Cons

Long work hours.

I love working for goodyear

this was a great place to work at it was fast paced and something new happen everyday pay could have been higher and a better district level support staff also your competiors can sell your product at lower price than you didnt make your job easy

Pros

Great employess

Cons

bad Management

Not recommended for people who enjoy life

Managers only get one day off per week When you do have a day off people constantly call Pay was decent when it was salary, now since it turn to hourly Techs are disrespectful Customer's a demanding

Pros

Cons

everything

Business sold

Was not a great place to work because of management and lack of ownership for the business

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodyear. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1,140