Goodyear logo
Goodyear

Goodyear Employee Reviews for Service Manager

Work-Life Balance

Found 97 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,451 reviews

Fast paced with plenty of learning opportunities.

I loved this job and gave it my everything with intentions of moving up to corporate. Bad management, more specifically a horrible store manager, saw to it that those dreams were crushed. Job happiness is really dependent on which store you work at and who is your manager. Tech roles can be lucrative, entry positions can be treated poorly but if you can learn quick that will go a long way. Sales are under payed(well, a lot of roles there are) considering they are the face of the store. Upper management should be more personal and understand how shops actually operate on a day to day basis. That would go a long way with the numbers expectations. If you are a certified tech I would consider this place, and if you are car savvy as well as people friendly, I would recommend it. I miss it everyday.

Pros

Knowledge, Overtime to be had, can be good money.

Cons

Benefits are pricey, really bad store managers, entry level sales and tech underpaid for what they do.

Great place to start out at if you are in the shop

Goodyear was a good career path if you are a team player and work well under pressure. I was promoted from a GMT (oil changes, tires, and light repairs) to Service Manager in about three years. If you want to become a master tech I would look elsewhere. As a service manager there is constant pressure to make sales goals from upper management which gets pushed down through the Store Manager to the Service Manager. The pay was great and I can not complain. The stress level though was terrible with constant sales pressure and techs never being happy with what jobs come in due to that sales pressure. There is threats of being written up if you do not make sales. Never was though so I do not know if this was an empty threat.

Pros

Pay, vacation and PTO time

Cons

Healthcare benefits are expensive, high pressure sales

Constant changes to compensation

I worked as a service manager at a high volume store in California. The staff was on point from general service to auto techs. Good team of people who’s reputation was second to none. I learned an incredible amount about the auto industry from the long term manager at that store. The techs also spent hours teaching me and discussing their pain points. This lead to a very productive location. You can’t make every customer happy every day, especially when the day goes sideways on you. Keeping constant, professional and upfront with all customers is key. Sometime the work is too big for the store or outside our skill set and we have to pass on the opportunity to serve the customer. There have been many times customers would come in stating they “needed” something that another person had told them about. When we put the vehicle on the rack, we could not agree with the previous assessment. On the other side of that coin it can be shocking to first time car owners or folks who have always relied on their parents to handle these situations. The sticker price of repair work can be a gut shot to some. I watched and learned quickly how to techs diagnose and perform the inspections. What is critical (if anything) and what is something that is recommended either by use or by manufacturer guidelines. Then communication to the customer. The trust the customer base has with this store is apparent and warranted. I left Goodyear because of the constant changes to the compensation package. Only negative I would offer up. It felt as though consistent well performing stores were penalized -

Awful company with no family values or concerns about the employees as individuals

Do not work for this company. 6 day work weeks 10-12 hours a day. No overtime because you’re salary. They constantly harass you into add on useless sales to offer the customers. They thrive on misery.

Pros

Some have closed their doors. Out of business

Cons

Being desperate enough to work there

A rat race with incompetent upper management

After nearly a decade with the company the focus has changed from helping people with their vehicles and tires to extracting every available penny regardless of customer needs. Dishonest practices are ignored and therefore encouraged by district and corporate management who focus purely on unrealistic metrics and focus studies and know nothing about automotive service or building customer relationships. From store manager down to the technicians, prepare to be belittled. Forget about upward mobility, the cronyism is unreal. You either play golf with or married into the management clique (formerly from Target) or you can prepare to rot in place... regardless of how stellar your performance is. If you're a top performer you can expect a pat on the back and a fake gold pin every five years. Wouldn't recommend anyone to work for this company which is swirling the drain (see the 5yr stock chart). 25 year old antiquated point of sale software? Check. Zero company provided training for upcoming techs/salespeople? Check. Zero preparation for changing industry standards? Check. Terrible discount program? Check. Company initiatives designed to take business from the retail stores and money from your paycheck? BIG CHECK. The only positive of working for Goodyear is job stability regardless of lackluster performance and some good people in some stores... just be prepared for a life of mediocrity in a company that survives on name recognition alone.

Pros

Job stability

Cons

Everything else you can imagine AND MORE

Just a number

You're just a number even if you are a top performer and have covered everyone in the shop from the manager to the sales guy to the technician and even the oil change guy. I gave this company my all for 6 1/2 years just to get canned after a really good customer gave me their mail in rebate that they did not want and that I never received. THIS WAS THEIR REASON WHICH WAS EXTREMELY VAGUE. Now they are trying to hold out on my unemployment and three weeks of vacation pay that I earned with my own blood and sweat when I never called in sick. There is nothing in the employee handbook in regards to taking a rebate given by a customer and termination was a harsh reaction to me being an exceptional employee. The saddest thing is to waste 6 1/2 years of your life for NOTHING.Do not waste your time working here. A robot has more emotion and care than the head of HR does. You will work your tail off only to end up in the same position years down the road and may be tossed to the side of the road like a piece of meaningless garbage.

Pros

Cons

No value of human life

Good company

It was a good company. Pretty organized. There is room to move up if you are in a bigger area or want to move. All around good company to work for with good benefits.

Horrible management

The environment is usually whatever you make it amongst colleagues however management on almost every level will do their best to make your job as rough as possible. They will purposely set out with personal vendetta's to have you fail. Even when you go above their rank, it only gets worse. Upper management will automatically side with the store manager and never take any of your statements into consideration.

Overall good company

Overall good people to work for. Flexible hours. They should look into more benefits. But really a good working environment. I would recommend it to anyone.

Fun to work at for starting a career

Good pay management works with you on hours and family life. is a good place to make friends while working Close to home and easy to get to not much traffic

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Goodyear?

Sucks sucks

Don't have a job.do t even think about working at Goodyear. They treat you like pond scum and try to make sure you are miserable on the daily.if there is no other option but to work there be unemployed

so stresful , poor management and worst than that : so racist

so stressful , no control from management over other employees specially techs and mechanics , lack of honesty , top managers don't know anything about what's going on inside / outside the store , no body care about new hires and no one is welling to give hand , their principle is : go learn by your self and from your own mistakes, so racist and they were helping each other in this issue .

Cons

The retail side is phasing out

$200 a week is what you pay for health insurance for a family. They don’t pay well so turn over can be high. You work nights, weekends and holidays. You must work a year before you get to earn your 1 week vacation. The technology in the stores is no joke still from the 1980’s. They pay the main tech’s flat rate. So no benefit to the customer there. The stores get zero support from corporate. The online ordering and scheduling is a joke. Will cause you in the store nothing but problems. Refer back to corporate doesn’t care to fix the issue.

Gainesville FL, Nightmare, run!

Former service manager. No life allowed outside of Goodyear! 48-60hrs a week, little pay, GY offers commissions if unrealistic goals are met, fyi never made an extra dime, and I have always been a top performer. Dirty, loud annoying environment, constant power struggle w store manager who belittles entire staff. As store manager had my tech conduct second interviews and allowed tech to run dictate shop, which would was my job, I was cut out of the loop, not allowed to do my job. Constant Petty power struggle, I grew tired of having sales stolen by our own leader, what a joke, no control, no money, a absurd amount of micromanagement, including second guessing of sales recommendations in front of customers, pathetic! This store could not keep employees, constant turn over, don’t bother, you’re definitely better delivering pizza. I experienced reverse racism and sexism from a LBGT angry minority female. Favoritism, store manager hired GS at different pay level, creating resentment within staff, just one dollar difference causes anger, resentment and constant struggle within staff. RUN from this mismanaged Nightmare .

Pros

Micromanagement

Cons

Long hours, low pay, unhappy employees, frustration at every turn

Great work place

Great company and leadership. Great benefits and 401K options. Room for promotions and relocation withing the company with help from employer. Great company overall.

Impossible

Always promised stuff that never happens. Even if you're asked how you would resolve a problem, its never used. Absolutely no support from corporate. Want you to take tests and do modules repeatedly that pull you away from your job and more important issues.

Ok place to work

You are expected to be flexible fully with your time. They don’t like paying overtime yet expect you to stay after hours to to finish customers cars only to be send home early the same week to prevent them from paying you overtime so you get nothing for working on your own time. Company is run on a 30 year old business plan, will not modernize . Most upper management has absolutely no auto Industry experience

Good when its good. Bad when its bad.

When I started things were better. But its still a large corporation and when things are low and the business isn't doing stellar the micro-managing and the make money or cut spending (or heads) conversations begin. Training is okay but honestly loose for non sales positions, the opportunity for advancement is pretty poor overall, and the management culture still seems to be of the "good 'ol boy" mentality. External hiring over in-company advancement and the approach of promoting the closest fit (if its going to be an in-company advancement) so personnel can shift around to save the poorest performing store seems to be the norm and leads to obvious issues. Policy based communications are terrible and policies are loosely enforced depending on who from corporate is in town. Overall the worst part of this company is the ideal that profit is king and you must be in the clique or you're going to have a hard time. Days you're winning are good days, but if you're not in the green you have a target on you. I've learned a bit over my time and have made great relationships with coworkers as well as customers so I can't completely slam Goodyear. But if you intend on staying with them you need to either play their game, or be prepared to be tired daily until you either can't take it anymore, or they find a technicality to trim you off of the books.

Pros

Face to Face customer interaction, diverse employees

Cons

Poor upper management, Profit over everything mentality, Policy compliance only when someones watching approach.

Productive and Busy

You will never not be busy working for this company, good flow of service in and out of the building daily and plenty of room for growing inside the company.

Could be better if

Shortly said...company has grey goals and morals just doesn’t get carried out and assured it’s handled professionally and properly. Management is lacking innovation and forward thinking in some areas and some are extremely closed minded to their lower employees..customers are willing to pay for quality, as long as quality is actually consistent.

Pros

Training

Cons

Hours worked, time off, and

Always understaffed

Always understaffed but required to take every customer. Very stressful environment. Usually a high turnover ratio, constantly training new employees.

Pros

Decent benefit packages. Discounts on tires

Cons

Difficult to keep up with demand at times due to staffing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodyear. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1,136