Indian Institute of Science

Indian Institute of Science Employee Reviews for Research Assistant

Though the part time job as a research assistant entails low pay, but the experience in terms of understanding research, the methodology employed, result analysis and proposing future work and studies were illuminating. A typical day would involve day long independent research work with weekly meetings with the supervisor to understand the direction in which I was growing. The difficulty was in time management, but as the months went on better planning, understanding work dynamics, the environment and culture improved my understanding of project management. All in all a wonderful opportunity even if the salary is on the lower scale. The payoff in terms of personal growth and development make up for it if tackled with a growth perspective.
For a research institute in India it was an excellent place to work and grow. The community of students and professors there are engaging and active and access to resources in comparable and at times even better than many universities in the United States.
Work life balance and great atmosphere to work and thrive. Surrounded by educated and highly groomed people which helps shape perspective and all round experience.
A very good place to work at because of a number of professors around and a lot of Ph.D. and Post Doc graduate students to guide us. Scope for working on a lot of exciting projects is very high.
The working hours are typically more than 45 hours per week and the working culture is very good for begineers in the field of research. The most enjoyable part of the job is cooperative from senior researchers
Pro - Its a great place, lots of research opportunities. Cons : Limited hiring, low salaries I am not a student, but got an opportunity to walk around the campus, since one my friend studied there. Beautiful campus you really need to walk to get the feel of the nature. There are plenty of old trees, located off the city. There is a canteen inside the campus which serves good vegetarian food and value for money. It's also a place where making of scientists happens :-)
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore is a top University in India. This place helped me to start my career in the field of Project Management and Business Analysis.
Pros
Excellent Environment
Cons
Work on contract basis
Good place to learn if you are a fresher, being a project researcher you will be able to get involve in various things involving poster making, helping other interns, volunteering etc. Lab culture is fair basically good for people who want to stretch things in their life
Pros
flexible timings
Cons
not good for longterm
Though its filled with some great professors and faculty this place is zero fun. The faculty is too head strong and will never take suggestions from students or TAs
For those who want to do hard core research IISc is a good place for them. People here are very cooperative, treat every one like family. I felt like every day of mine internship went on doing one thing again and again. Due to a small mistake like if you added 0.01microliter of water extra to the solution whole experiment ruined, which you were working for past one week. But My work there was great help to my Phd. mentors thesis work. I enjoyed with my co-workers, in between day at work we used to play FIFA, counter strike.
it's very nice experience to work there in a research domain.I was satisfied with that work nature just because of it is a developing field "geotechnical-earthquake engineering".
Pros
enthu activities when sent for projects.
Cons
no time limit/working hour limitations
Highest freedom to try out new things everyday. Learnt the fabrication of nano devices. I am an independent user of many fabrication equipment. Had to work with highly qualified research scholars and professors. Optimisation being the hardest part of the job, I enjoyed it too.
The place was surrounded by scientists from whom I learnt a lot about research and the method of approach while working in aerospace industry.
Being a research institute it did offer what a research enthusiast always wants-support, flexibility and motivation!
Working at CAD (Computer Aided Design) lab, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore has added a colorful feather in my CV.Working for almost 1.5 years with a great research team was absolutely fun.Our main research was building a reconfigurable architecture, REDEFINE, to overcome various issues faced by ASIC and FPGA.My area was developing a the LTE module supported by REDEFINE.Though salary wise it was not that great, but got to learn many things.
* Design from scratch till finished product.*Co operative management.*space constraint for design of components
I have had a very good exposure to nano composites in aircfraft applications. A vast knowledge bank and have got the ability to trouble shoot problems when they occur and a better way of approach to technical nitigrities