Industrial Scientific Corporation

Industrial Scientific Corporation Employee Reviews

During my time at the company it was an amazing place to be. MOST managers cared for the employees, coworkers were amazing. your starting PTO was good + holidays. OT was always available, but almost never mandatory. and you felt like you could be a part of something. The CEO was approachable with anything, complaints included. The guy would even come down on your birthday(or the day after if you took it off) to shake your hand. You were also able to make changes to your job without going thru a manager with the kaizen program, as long as you could prove the change was beneficial. The company practically begged you to do it too, as they knew YOU knew your job best and how to make it efficient. how many companies can say that?!Unfortunately the company was purchased by a larger conglomerate, and they began muddling in the business and slowly the place started to go downhill.
Pros
amazing subsidized lunches, excellent PTO to start, actual control with your job
Cons
healthcare was subpar. starting wages were low but had ways to get raises beyond the yearly increase, job security isn't what it used to be
It has the potential to be a good job, but the people who work there are lazy, undriven, and just plain mean. They don't know how to train employees, and lie about how long temps stay on (they say 6, they mean 15+ months).
They, the HR Department, fired me for “quality” after 8 months; I had heard nothing about my quality from my managers...in fact, they were teaching me new things like how to solder. We weren’t red in the quality section of the QDIP meeting, so I have no idea where the HR department was getting their information from. I was really looking forward to getting hired on full time by Industrial Scientific...I really enjoyed my job there...it’s just a shame that they fired me...I would definitely go back, if I get the chance...hopefully they’ll pay me more than $13 / hr like they were...
Pros
Managers were very nice, and I loved to learn
Cons
Hr, being very disconnected
Nice building and people concerned for your welfare. There is an underlying uneasiness about job security and work methods. It was ok for what it was.
I liked the people I worked with and for. I didn't feel like I was a part of the group but I did enjoy the work I did. However, I was disappointed with the lack of communication, updates with employee's progress, or if there were any issues.
I have enjoyed my time here and have been treated well by everyone in the company.The people here are dedicated to our mission. The hardest part on my job is getting people with no budget to be interested in our 48 month agreement. I enjoy seeing new faces and companies everyday to show them our offerings.
It's a good place to work. It has a set schedule and 40 hours per week. The people are all laid back and relaxed. The hours are good when business is good.
It is a good company, have a lot of chances to learn, have full program to make yourself grow when you willing to. Value people, bacisally no OT. Have chances to get promotion.
ISC used to be a unique private employer with an "Employee 1st" culture, but was purchased by Fortive Corporation in 2017 and has been changing rapidly toward your typical publicly traded corporation with a focus on the shareholder and profit margin. All the things that used to distinguish ISC from other large corporations has eroded away.
Industrial Scientific (Fortive) is a great place to work. Teams work well with each other on projects and project managers guide them to get the work done on schedule. I was happy working with my team and all other teams.
Pros
A good culture
Cons
Too many meetings
Repair gas monitors for the customers, try to give the estimate in less than a day, we have to diagnostic the instruments, check if they are upgraded, if not, we have to upgrade them to the last version, then we have to calibrate the instrument and see which sensor is not working or what component is failing to estimate the final price for the customer, if they are expensive repairs we recommend customer to purchase a new one because the damage could be more the 50% of the new one or the damage goes beyond economical repair. Once the customer approve the estimate we receive the parts to repair the instrument and repair the unit, then we calibrate and bump test to make sure the instrument is working according to the manufacturer specifications, we put all the information on Oracle to have history of the units, then we ship it to the customers
Enjoyable job assisting customers. Great working conditions with the best owner, management team, and co-workers. I thoroughly enjoyed working for Industrial Scientific and highly recommend this company.
Incredible place to work. Employees first. They endeavor to work with you to grow your career. In house training and support ensure you are working at your best. High standards to ensure they supply the highest quality product.
Working at ISC was a great experience, that I wish I would have never left. From owner, upper management, and co-workers everyone worked for a common goal to save lives. You felt appreciated in everything you did, and often times were told about it.
Pros
Leadership, Moral, Co-workers, Wages and Benefits
Cons
I can honestly say I don't have any!
The culture of this business is second to none. When the owners say they put their employees first it really shows. The only downside was there wasn't enough upward mobility because no one ever quit.
Industrial Scientific has a mission of ending death on the job by the year 2050. This is a noble effort, and being the global leader in gas detection, definitely has its foot in the right door for achieving such a goal. However, the company had problems in the past regarding execution and each department having poor methodologies. This lead to the company implementing what is essentially a company-wide Waterfall model. The process does work; however, it is painful at best. Nothing can be done quickly even on the smallest of scales. The compensation is modest here. As a Software Developer, I was paid below the average for the Pittsburgh area, and from what all others that I talked to while working here, this is common among all other professions as well.
Pros
People are kind, helpful, relaxed workplace
Cons
Poor pay, process
When you work in the office you see and feel the sense of dedication for the company mission to ending death in the workplace by 2050. For most part the managers are caring and understanding to your problems. Nice working for CEO that remembers name when he sees your face even if its maybe 1 time a year that you actually cross paths. When working as a field personal sometimes you would feel forgotten about, and adapted sense of no news is good news mentality. Now the management staff is taken steps to correct this feeling.
Industrial Scientific Corp at one time was a great place to work. The last 5 or so years the culture has changed from employees first to its about the bottom line no matter what. I do believe ISC manufactures a quality product and has a great sales team. overall I enjoyed my 27 years of employment.
Pros
good pay and good benifits
Cons
used to be employee first mentality, but not now
the typical day would assemble products, test the end results, and function as a team. the hard part of the job was starting at 5am. the people were great. Knowing that the company was going through a rough time and I would not have a chance for full time employment.
Great company, smart and decent owners and management. Just moved in a new building. Very good work environment, job ethics, supportive stuff.
They are a very big company and I gained alot of experience while working under a contract position. I would approve of this company.