Industrial Scientific Corporation

Industrial Scientific Corporation Employee Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA

During my time at the company it was an amazing place to be. MOST managers cared for the employees, coworkers were amazing. your starting PTO was good + holidays. OT was always available, but almost never mandatory. and you felt like you could be a part of something. The CEO was approachable with anything, complaints included. The guy would even come down on your birthday(or the day after if you took it off) to shake your hand. You were also able to make changes to your job without going thru a manager with the kaizen program, as long as you could prove the change was beneficial. The company practically begged you to do it too, as they knew YOU knew your job best and how to make it efficient. how many companies can say that?!Unfortunately the company was purchased by a larger conglomerate, and they began muddling in the business and slowly the place started to go downhill.
Pros
amazing subsidized lunches, excellent PTO to start, actual control with your job
Cons
healthcare was subpar. starting wages were low but had ways to get raises beyond the yearly increase, job security isn't what it used to be
It has the potential to be a good job, but the people who work there are lazy, undriven, and just plain mean. They don't know how to train employees, and lie about how long temps stay on (they say 6, they mean 15+ months).
They, the HR Department, fired me for “quality” after 8 months; I had heard nothing about my quality from my managers...in fact, they were teaching me new things like how to solder. We weren’t red in the quality section of the QDIP meeting, so I have no idea where the HR department was getting their information from. I was really looking forward to getting hired on full time by Industrial Scientific...I really enjoyed my job there...it’s just a shame that they fired me...I would definitely go back, if I get the chance...hopefully they’ll pay me more than $13 / hr like they were...
Pros
Managers were very nice, and I loved to learn
Cons
Hr, being very disconnected
Nice building and people concerned for your welfare. There is an underlying uneasiness about job security and work methods. It was ok for what it was.
I liked the people I worked with and for. I didn't feel like I was a part of the group but I did enjoy the work I did. However, I was disappointed with the lack of communication, updates with employee's progress, or if there were any issues.
It's a good place to work. It has a set schedule and 40 hours per week. The people are all laid back and relaxed. The hours are good when business is good.
Industrial Scientific (Fortive) is a great place to work. Teams work well with each other on projects and project managers guide them to get the work done on schedule. I was happy working with my team and all other teams.
Pros
A good culture
Cons
Too many meetings
The culture of this business is second to none. When the owners say they put their employees first it really shows. The only downside was there wasn't enough upward mobility because no one ever quit.
Industrial Scientific has a mission of ending death on the job by the year 2050. This is a noble effort, and being the global leader in gas detection, definitely has its foot in the right door for achieving such a goal. However, the company had problems in the past regarding execution and each department having poor methodologies. This lead to the company implementing what is essentially a company-wide Waterfall model. The process does work; however, it is painful at best. Nothing can be done quickly even on the smallest of scales. The compensation is modest here. As a Software Developer, I was paid below the average for the Pittsburgh area, and from what all others that I talked to while working here, this is common among all other professions as well.
Pros
People are kind, helpful, relaxed workplace
Cons
Poor pay, process
Industrial Scientific Corp at one time was a great place to work. The last 5 or so years the culture has changed from employees first to its about the bottom line no matter what. I do believe ISC manufactures a quality product and has a great sales team. overall I enjoyed my 27 years of employment.
Pros
good pay and good benifits
Cons
used to be employee first mentality, but not now
Great company, smart and decent owners and management. Just moved in a new building. Very good work environment, job ethics, supportive stuff.