Microsoft

Microsoft Employee Reviews

Showing all 7,271 reviews

Best place to work

I enjoyed my 5 years tenure in Microsoft Global Delivery. Nice place to work and learn. I feel Microsoft Global Delivery is bit underpaid compared to market standard and Microsoft branding.

Pros

Good Learning, Nice campus, Good perks and benefits

Cons

Compensation is less, Now due to many Indian managers culture is degrading

The team is great, I felt trusted and my work was valued. Every member is very supportive, and they are pretty good at giving feedback for each other's work.

Excellent culture, but overwhelming product set

This is a great company with great benefits and some amazing people. It is overwhelming at times to support such a huge and vast product portfolio.

Pros

Benefits, pay, corporate culture

Cons

Work-life balance

Ambiente de trabajo muy bueno

la cultura corporativa es buena, trabajas por objetivos. El organigrama es horizontal puedes hablar con los jefes que te brindan gran apertura.

Pros

La cultura es muy buena y el trabajo es en base a objetivos

Cons

No hay promociones para los vendors

Best tech company to work for, and much better than those who focus on exploiting customer data. I genuinely think most people want to help each other and our customers.

Pros

Smart people, interesting challenges

Cons

300k employees can be unwieldy

It really depends on your manager

It’s okay. People have different experience, but as a new hire on my team, my experience was pretty much trash. They expect me to be perfect. I’m going to make mistakes.

Pros

Good compensation

Cons

They want perfect people

Benefits are great

I love the ability to work from home up to 50% of the time without pre-approval. Up to 100% with manager approval. Medical and prescription coverage is the best that I've encountered at any company.

Benefits

Cons

On-call issue resolution for cloud service

Lack of career advancement

Unfortunately, it's hard to grow in your career due to bureaucracy, even if you work hard and provide clear results.The level you enter in matters a lot here. Not a flat org.

Fast Learning Environment but Pay Increase Slow and No Promotional Opportunities

It is fast and you learn a lot but their learning expectations are demanding as you don't work with every product hands on the company makes and are required to get Azure technical certifications every year. Employees make less than the more you stay in same role, company makes it hard to go up ladder one level up above current role and compensation less as compared to other companies. There is a lot of middle managers and very hard to move in positions to gain more experience and knowledge. Most people leave and then come back to another position or group to get promoted and loose all their stocks/benefits in process. It is a good company to get your feet wet and learn.

Pros

Work Life Flex, Smart People, Remote Jobs

Cons

Promotions Slow and Pay Compared to Others

busy with lots of opportunities

used to be great however lately they are outsourcing all their jobs to India so there are limited opportunities for Americans anymore, still if you don't mind working long hours, you may find a chance to grow.

Jobs at Microsoft

See more jobs

Many Opportunities, if you can get them, but at least the benefits are nice

Microsoft is such a huge company that it's hard to give a review of the company as a whole. Most of your experience is very team dependent, and mine is a very poor experience. My role is on a low-code/no-code team, which is very frustrating as a Software Engineer. The tools we use and the way we use them, for the most part, don't require Software Engineers or technical employees, so I am bored and my potential is wasted here. On the bright side, work-life balance is still ok, and my teammates are nice enough. This is very specific to my team, though.I believe I was also under-leveled when I joined Microsoft. At my previous company, I was doing Software Engineer II level work, but that level was titled just Software Engineer. In addition, I'm not great at interviews, but I am a great employee. I've found it very difficult so far when looking at other teams to get them to consider me for SWE II positions (even before interviewing) because I'm SWE I and that's just not how it's done here.As a whole, Microsoft has amazing benefits that are hard to match. It's such a huge company that there are so many different avenues to explore, but it also feels really difficult and overwhelming to explore those avenues and discover if Microsoft has something that you're truly interested in.

Pros

fantastic benefits, mental/physical fitness allowance

Cons

huge company, difficult to catch up if under-leveled in the first place

Great benefits, but there is a cost

The culture can vary considerably depending on the business unit, the business segments in that unit and by the individual team/manager. There were lots of opportunities for learning, but mostly it was expected that you learn on your own time. However, putting in a 60 hour work week or longer did not leave much time for that. My skip-level manager did not have children and made no efforts to have empathy for parents. Benefits were great but the cost is your life.

Pros

benefits, working with smart people, meaningful work (mostly), leading edge

Cons

no work/life balance, train yourself, high stress

if you are a V- then youre not treated with respect

if youre a V- youre not treated with respect, a lot of politics , they don't respect calibers in the middle east unless you are backed up with someone important, if you don't play politics you will not grow,

Pros

good comapny, food

Cons

vendors are treated with disrispect

Get ready to be overworked and underpaid

Microsoft recently adopted a business model that has employees handling the responsibility of 5 different titles. Pay was not increased to match the workload.

Pros

Cons

Poor healthcare, poor pay, poor management

cool

nice work place I will be coming back to gain more knowledge and get further into my career because I want to be able to provide more value to the world

Wonderful Company, Unfortunate changes

Microsoft Retail stores were an absolute pleasure to work for and was one of the best jobs I've had. Unfortunately the transition out of the physicals locations was poorly handled, and us as employees were shoved into work roles were didn't really have a choice about. The remote work wasn't terrible if you like it, but as someone who does not I couldn't find enjoyment at the company anymore.

Pros

Well paid, Amazing Benefits

Cons

Job is lackluster

GreT Company

Liked it. Sometimes, I did my job but most of the time I'd come in the back door so Lumberg doesn't see me. Then I just stare at my screen and zone out. I do that again after lunch for smother hours. I would say in a given week, I only do about 15 minutes of actual work.

Satya's impact on the culture is palpable...and amazing

I've been with the company for 8+ years starting in the Steve Balmer days. The culture we're shifting towards today is a much healthier environment. There are seeds of "old" hats but those are being shifted and working out. It's such a large company that you can't say it's all good or it's all bad. If you find a great team that is adopting the inclusive, fail fast, growth mindset culture, jump at the chance.

Pros

Flex work/remote allowed

Cons

Annual stock awards/bonuses may not be the same as FAANG.

Great place to work.

Working here was great. Great perks. Amazing benefits and lot of opportunities for career development. Would highly recommend for anyone looking for a position here.

Solution Specialists

If you love technology and helping customers solve hard problems Microsoft is the place to be. They have done a great job supporting employees and customers through COVID. New leadership at the top of Microsoft has really focused on changing the culture. Change takes time but overall the best place I have worked. Yearly changes in accounts can be hard for some but presents you with new challenges.

Pros

Great technology, care and concern for employees and customers, benefits, ability to learn new things.

Cons

Can be overwhelming for some, things move very fast and it can be hard to keep up with all the innovation.

Continually challenged for exciting work which is changing people's lives

I have been working at Microsoft for 25+ years and have really enjoyed my career there. I have always has support from management and we have plenty of hard problems to solve.

Pros

Challenging problems, inclusive environment, management support

Cons

Ratio of women to men in engineering roles is still too low

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Microsoft. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2