Petrofac

Petrofac Employee Reviews for Principal Software Engineer

One of the better Companies to work for. Very good learning curve and good opportunities for engineer to display their skills. Company provided good mentors for engineers.
Overall experience involving Basic pre-bid engineering and Detailed engineering design of electrical equipment, good experience in packaged substations and mechanical packages. During Basic engineering involved in developing Single Line Diagrams, development of design basis & power distribution philosophies, layouts, Sizing calculations.
Good work exposure Good epc organisation But not planned Need to plan work properly before final execution The organization shall behave properly The epc company shall have long term strategy to sustain
It may sound terrible or partisan, but listing all the negatives will sound like complaint box. so let me give the positives first: If you are a local resident and have can handle mediocrity, this place may suit you. If you are "do-er" and not an achiever, this place is right for you. If quality of work is not of paramount importance in your parlance, this will be the best place for you. Hardest task is to take seniors into confidence for the most basic things as most of them are naive. Severe compromises on basic fundamental engineering. Bottom line is that there is nothing to cheer about working here.
Pros
salary on time
Cons
long hours, poor work life balance, no space to even sit, computers whose configurations are less than modern smart phones, indecisive management
Place to learn many engineering aspects. Work ability to adjust the time frame. Very good infrastructure and work place. System facilities are excellent.
A typical working day comprises of a hectic schedule throughout the day until late evenings. Among many technical skills, an important thing I learnt is handling pressures. I typically led a team of engineers. I mentored them and evaluated their work and we achieved meeting our targets on schedule. My co-workers have been very good and it makes a pleasant experience in office. The hardest part of my job was trying to maintain its balance with family. In order to meet targets, I had to make sacrifices in my family life. The most enjoyable part of my job was the healthy relations with my colleagues which rekindled the spirits when the things went down.
Pros
Good team spirit among fellow colleagues.
Cons
Tough schedules meant sacrificing family life.
Life in Petrofac is overall hectic. The work is quite challenging for pipe stress engineers, but we manage to cope up with pressure and deliver good quality results. Among many things, the most important thing that I learnt is handling pressures. My co-workers have been very cooperative and we work as a good team. The toughest part of job is maintaining balance with family life. The most enjoyable part of job was working as a team with good spirits and this helped in achieving very tough schedules.
Pros
Good learning place and healthy team spirit
Cons
Tough schedules resulted in providing lesser time to family
  1. Principal Software Engineer