State of Arkansas

State of Arkansas Employee Reviews

Caseworker

It was rewarding helping others but it can become stressful due to the caseload. You will need something to help manage the stress. The pay could be more for the level of work required.

Pros

Schedule

Cons

Caseload amounts

Lots of great opportunities to stand out! Just watch your back.

Overall, the state was a great place to work. I just wished folks had as much motivation that I had to make a difference for Arkansans. Pay was top notch.

What you make of it

Work your shift and go home. Pay isn't good but job isn't hard. Insurance is expensive. The days off are good and supervisor work with you if needed off

Pros

Weekends off

Cons

Low pay

Very inbred culture

In order to advance, you need to be related or "very good friends" with the hiring managers. In my experience, the managers were not interested in hiring the best candidate, but only those who would not ever question their way of working - even when their way way incorrect or outdated.

Pros

Never overworked. Don't work too hard, you'll make the higher ups look bad

Cons

Not willing to update procedures. Suspicious of anything new. Low pay. No flexibility.

Very meaningful

Agency Director. Issues were of my own creation . Found the experience rewarding and satisfying.. Nothing else to add. I retired very satisfied with the agency.

Good

Cons

Value of helping people. Good work environment

Felt valued in helping people, clients, customers and employees. Good work environment. Good benefits. Enjoyed the people I worked with. Vacation, sick leave and retirement. Advancement and transfers available without losing benefits.

Pros

Good benefits.

Cons

Government salary lags behind private but good benefits/retirement.

Job security! Get to meet different people

Unless you work for a division that has set hours don’t expect to have a life or have time for yourself. If your office is short staff which right now every office is. Don’t even bother asking for a day off or a vacation cause it will be denied or they will tell you find coverage which no coworkers would do. Have doctor or any appointments that are only on the weekdays good luck finding time to take care of yourself. Have kids? Might as well be a absent parent or if your single parent better get use to your kids calling the babysitter mom! Your lucky if you get a lunch and they still make you subtract 30 mins from your day even if you don’t get lunch or a break.

Pros

Job security, meeting people, some great coworkers

Cons

No work-life balance. Bad supervisors, lazy coworkers. Lucky to get a vacation

favoritism

Don’t expect to receive a living wage here. Many people have to get a second job just to survive. If you’re politically connected, and perhaps made campaign contributions, you just might “win” a high-paying job. Many of us wonder what it is that these mystery employees actually do, but have yet to get any answers.

Pros

zero overtime, 40 hours/week

Cons

no chance of meaningful pay increases

Flexibility

Does not pay well at all!!! Not a lot of chances for advancement. High turnover rates. I would not reccomend working for the State of Arkansas. Stay away!!

Good stepping stone, but no incentive to stay anymore

Years ago, this would have been a great job. However, lots of changes have been made to lower salaries and you can no longer drive a State car to work. That’s totally fine, but people that took the job for those reasons were financially impacted without even an apology. Employees are now treated like hourly workers instead of professionals. Everyone feels disposable, especially in the department I work in. Morale is VERY low throughout the entire State workforce. Lately, it seems like a revolving door. Some managers care about improving morale and home/work balance, but some only care about getting a 4 or 5 at all costs...those are the nearly impossible scores on our annual evaluations that are also demoralized.

Pros

Good entry level job, benefits are ok

Cons

Morale is low in most departments

State HR does not have their stuff together.

It takes forever to get anything done. You have to go through endless channels, and half of the people are either incompetent or just really don't care about doing their job.

Overworked and overwhelmed

Pay and benefits are good. Otherwise, working at DCFS North Little Rock was not great. I despised getting up and going to work. Never know how many cases will be dumped on you even though you already are over your head with current cases.

Pros

Benefits and pay

Cons

No home life

Good job security . . . low pay

Love the job, the folks i work with and how close it is to my home.Problem is that room for advancement is low and pay is extremely low compared to the private sector.

Pros

job security

Cons

Low pay

Stay away it’s a micromanage pain every day office. They put piles and piles of work on you and expect we get it done and unreasonable time me and emails coming through daily It will have you stressed out ending up with health problems.

Great Learning Capability

M-F 8a-430p. Effective time management. Leadership of managers/supervisors is at best just OK...no real mentorship. Unified Camaraderie is non-existent, more clickish-small groups. Disappointment of Strong Leadership/Mentoring. Accomplishing a task and being recognized.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Supervisor Lack of Tact & Personnel Care

Good benefits low pay

It’s a good job to get experience for your next job. The pay is low but the benefits are great. Work there t get your experience and move on to get paid market value.

a good old boy environment

0 support from management. The state management system is to give no support to their employees and get rid of anyone they can that are getting close to retirement. The state military department is the worst of all.

Pros

non

Cons

a hostile work environment

Budget Analyst

The State of Arkansas is a terrible place to work. I would not recommend it. There’s too many favorites and that’s how you get raises. The stress is unbelievable. The work conditions are horrible and I had a stroke and was not able to return to work at age 58 due to harassment.

Management is not professional, health insurance is expensive, no bereavement benefits, management or corporate does not treat employees fairly, always saying the client is right and employee is wrong, annual raises is not much (25- 30cents)

Pros

hour lunch, paid holidays, pay for increment weather days and off weekendss

Cons

healthcare is expensive, no room to advance

Overworked and underpaid

prepare to work well over 40 hours a week, and to be stressed out constantly. You have to buy your own supplies, and get sent into situations that are dangerous on a regular basis.

Pros

Overtime and PTO

Cons

huge caseloads and no flexibility with work hours

Great job for those who are interested in this field.

Its a really good start in the field. Minimum security but with alk the trainings you recieve you get a more in depth answer about wether this is the career for you or not.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Arkansas. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• State of Arkansas