UnitedHealth Group

UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Showing all 17,173 reviews
Featured review
UnitedHealth Group selected this as a representative review
The only downside was being on the phones and trying to make your numbers each month. I had to leave due to a health condition or I would still be there. I got my son in law a job working there and he loves the company too.
Pros
work from home
Cons
trying to make your numbers each month.
Official response from UnitedHealth Group
July 27, 2018
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad that you have found growth and development within your roles. Sincerely, Natasha N. - Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group
I am happy with UHG. Given a chance, I would like to work with UHG again. The people around you are helpful. The task is not stressful. The nature of work is very easy because they have the best trainer.
A very nice place to work . Standard benefits , insurance options . Good Pto benefits . Company has a lot of rooms to grow . But compensation is not that good .
Management good, pay great, and not so flexible with schedule if you have small children. After 6 years, I realized for this company I enjoyed being in office opposed to working remotely.
Management is horrible and doesn’t care about employees new systems are put in place that don’t work and they don’t provide good service to customers
Management, not unlike other employers, is heavy with katty, immature individuals who will use you against others in similar positions, to gain "loyalty." CYA is the mantra!Micro management is the corporate model.
Pros
Telecommute
Cons
High cost health insurance, micro management
Stressful sometimes but tbe coworkers were nice, would love to come back l I ked helping members making appts, answering their questions, doing ooutbound calls
Worked there for multiple years before covid. They train you well and make sure you are aware of advancement opportunities early. As long as you met your metrics there were bonuses and projects offered often to you if you expressed interest. Leadership often seemed to not know what was going on and that led to stressful situations, but if you go into a job here with low expectations it’s a fine placeholder job
Pros
Purchase time off, good benefits, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Burn out job
If you want to advance in your career this is the place to be. I truly felt while I was there that I determined how far I went and what I could achieved.
Pros
Opportunity
Cons
It can be very stressful
The pay is OK. The benefits are OK. All that matters to management is that they meet the numbers THEIR managers are expecting. Expect a lot of reports, ridiculous levels of micromanagement, the word "metrics", and absolute heartlessness in the face of human suffering. Enjoy talking to crying relatives as you take away the insurance their child needs to pay for cancer treatmeants. They didn't do anything wrong. It's all because their boss didn't pay their premiums AGAIN!Have fun when your boss tells you he thinks you've done outstanding in the last year, but he can only give your review a 3 out of 5 because it would throw off the curve and mess up the metrics if he scored anyone higher and we can't have that.Have fun in meaningless daily meetings. Enjoy the phrase "I'll give you back 10 minutes".
The Puerto Rico office sold an idea to us and immediately when we started we were disappointed. This job was probably one of the worst jobs I ever had and I was dying to leave within months of having the position. The management is absolutely horrible. They do not care about their employees. Numbers are all they care about as if their employees are robots. They don’t know how to encourage their team. All around not worth the stress they put on their employees.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
My colleagues were friendly - I learned I do not fit in with conventional type people nor as well with with non-creative by the book non-thinkers. Management not mature enough to hold position of authority yet act as if they know more than everyone corporate flying monkeys workplace culture - go along to get along. Company advertises self as growth oriented - yet reality is they have a do what I say way of being and do not want anyone thinking outside the box mentality. Hardest part about the job was having to go to work at place most line staff are underappreciate. The most enjoyable part of job - good salary.
Pros
good salary
Cons
micromanaged work was redundant
I've been working at UHC now for almost 8 years and had two positions. Currently, I am a Grievance Coordinator in the Medicare and Retirement Department. I've been serving in the department now for about 5 years (in May will make my 5-year mark) and it's been an up and down journey. I am very happy with the knowledge and experience I've been privileged to gain and I am certainly happy for the manager that hired me (she knows who she is :). But I must say, in the 5 years I've been in Grievances, it's been a stressful one. There have been many changes made to the department over the years, which has made the job more stressful. I've had more than 5 supervisors, some great and some not. But overall, the job is not the worst job but you can get burnt out after being in it for a few years. I will say the company has really stepped up its plate with the response to COVID-19 but the micro-managing sometimes is awful. That's all I will say.
Pros
The health insurance has gotten better; work at home, PTO accrual
Cons
Upper Management and the constant changes made to our department
This company has great pay and benefits but as a home infusion nurse my caseload is either sink or swim. If I don’t have enough hours I am expected to use PTO which leaves me with no personal time off. The area I cover is practically the whole state. I sometimes drive more than 1000 miles a week. Either I’m drowning in patients or I have none at all.
Pros
Pay/benefits
Cons
No work life balance. All or nothing pt load. Have to use PTO when short on hrs
Management was great in the department I worked in. The pay was very good. I felt like I was able to help the members when they called in. There were a lot of resources available to assist with daily tasks. Overall job assignment was easy and goals/metrics were easy to achieve. The only complaint was that we were often randomly given other tasks to do that were stressful and put us behind with our metrics.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, good management
Cons
Random assignments to other departments, turnover
The job is not difficult, but the micromanaging from management makes the work harder. Time off can be requested if approved, but you do not get paid.
Pros
Work from home, Meeting other like-minded people, informative
Cons
Non-Paid personal time, micromanaging work, and short breaks
I absolutely loved my job there, until it became mandatory to push 70 hours a week. This was my first real healthcare job, so I didn't have much room for negotiating. I wish I would have pushed a little more, as I ended up not receiving but a 3% raise after a year and a half. Bonuses in my position were great, was about 1.2K per quarter, pretty much guaranteed as long as your stats proved deserving. But they did not provide more compensation even with overtime. Benefits are pretty great here, you can buy more PTO if you want- up to 40 hours, and they'll reimburse you for the hours you don't use at the end of the year. Retirement benefits are pretty good too, great matching incentive. You can also purchase employee stock! Unfortunately, PTO and retirement can only go so far when they start preventing you from taking any PTO due to "staff levels." Even holidays were starting to become rarely available. They had let go of over 200 employees in my department and forced everyone else to pick up the slack. I was on a team of about 18 people, by the time I left and shortly after.. cut more than in half because of lack of work life balance. I was working Monday through Saturday from 6AM-4 or 5PM with one half hour lunch break. If United Health Group had given more care to it's employees, I would still be there today. But now, I will never recommend UHG to a friend, unless you can guarantee overtime has limits. They will push every limit they can.
Pros
Pto, bonuses
Cons
Mandatory overtime, no advancement, no raises
United Health Group focus on quality, work environment, office culture great work life balance innovation is top priority in this company, always learn new things, learning and development program conducted by company you can enroll as per your skill which want to develop.
Pros
Work environment office culture
Cons
Long working hours 9:30
Working at UHC was okay but there is zero diversity. Only knew of ONE person of color in an office of 140 people and ZERO women in executive leadership roles.
Lawyers are babies & management Won’t protect you. If a lawyer is horrid toward you, all the evidence could be there won’t matter - management is scared of them and you will suffer.
Cons
Great pay and bonuses but the call center were extremely busy and stressful. The company provided meals treats during holidays. Also, gifts are sometimes given out with the company logo.
Pros
Good hourly pay and bonuses
Cons
Stressful call load.
  1. Employee Reviews