Verizon

Verizon Employee Reviews in Ashburn, VA

You’re seeing reviews in Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Compensation is good, not great, and they pay bonus but benefits are somewhat expensive. Raises are capped as there are ratings quotas enforced by HR (e.g. only one member of the group may outperform). Slow growth firm, so there isn't much room for advancement and improvements to margin typically mean layoffs.
Pros
Allows for some remote work, decent work/life balance, unless there's a union strike
Cons
Small raises, no room for advancement
Good company to work for. Verizon provides tuition assistance. You can learn to build up your own experience for work or personal development.The downside of the company is like some other enterprise companies - you may not got a chance to do what you are capable to do.
while working there you were always wondering what was next. there was no clear direction at all levels and that left you wondering about your position.
compensation is competitive and work balance is good. No micro managing, have control over your time. Workload can be overwhelming depending on the projects you are working on
Verizon is a good company benefits wise and decent compensation. I worked on the core Verizon side and the Verizon Business side which is mostly former MCI people. Two different cultures to put very mildly. The VZB side has very strong good ole boy network with promotions and within management. I remember being on technical teams and they would make someone with no technical background a manager and he would be clueless and the reader of this post more helpful. The company offers tuition reimbursement for college and professional certifications.
Pros
Benefits, ability to learn, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Management and growth opportunities
over the 25 years I was there I through 5 managers...4 job titles and 2 job locations. I mostly enjoyed working there..up until the day they got rid of my entire department mid contract. believe because everyone had over 20 years experience and some almost 40. They wanted cheaper people...
Pros
lots of experience
Cons
Corporate sees you as a body..an overpaid body and inconvenience.
The company is focused on customers, employees, shareholders, and society. The company provides a great need by building a reliable network that businesses and consumers can depend on.
No culture. No encouragement for advancement. No belief system. Dont understand their WHY. Boring. Did not seem to welcome ideas much. Pays well. No sense of ownership.
May 19, 2020
Providing a positive work environment centered around personal growth and success is extremely important to us, so we appreciate you sharing your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to express your opinions on potential areas of improvement.
Verizon is one of the best companies to work for, when considering their size. The work is intense and the environment (for me) was fun and not too restrictive. I have an amazing team that works for me and I enjoy the interactions we have on a daily basis. There are lots of "places to go" in the company, BUT that's a sell they give you that doesn't materialize unless you "know someone." Herein is my complaint with companies like this. It's not "what" one knows or is capable of, but rather "who" one knows. This destroys morale for someone like me who has a documented mental disability and is not able to "network" like other people. I'm pigeon-holed into a position that I will never escape from because I'm not social. VZ is not alone in this fault, so this is not entirely a knock on them. I like my job and will keep trying my best.
There are some fantastic people that work there and the salary and benefits are very good. The hardest part of the job was having to work for and with some difficult Sr. Managers who don't treat you well and can't trust. That said, it is a good company and they are a market leader.
March 25, 2020
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and bring these issues to our attention as we are always looking for areas of improvement. Ensuring that our employees are provided with a positive work environment is extremely important to us.
The work environment was adversarial versus collaborative and generated a lot of animosity and worry about status on the team. Management often held you to specific measures of activities, while assigning "undocumented" work which did not contribute to the monitored measures.
March 23, 2020
Thank you for sharing your review. We appreciate your input and will take your insights into consideration on where we can improve.
The benefits are excellent but the base income can be quite variable. A person working for several years could be earning far less than a person working for less number of years, although both are doing great work. The salary depends on how well your team is positioned within the organization and how well your manager can propagate your achievements upwards. "Actions speak for themselves" don't work that well here. If one wants to move up, one needs to speak up and convince the upper management about your value to the company. Having said the above, I did learn many technical skills, and soft skills like working across different time zones and cultures.
Good company, a lot of projects.Maximum you can work there 2 years, if you contracter. Management is ok.Great, big building with a lot of infrastructure there.
Flexible work schedule, great work & life balance. Challenging work with great people. Management not always on top of things, given the large size of the company.
The engineers at Verizon are excellent. The senior engineers are very good at mentoring the newer engineers. The management is very good about providing vendor training and on the job training.
I loved working at Verizon. So much that I have been trying to find a full time position here as my contracts ends in April 2020. I have learned so much here in less than 2.5 years that I have not learned in my 5+ years of career in other companies. My management was excellent and I have a very interactive team. We were like a family teaching and helping each other along the way. Work environment was a perfect blend of fast paced and a touch of laid back in some area. Highly recommend this company. No wonder Verizon is the biggest and best Network company in USA!
Be on your own from day 1 if working with vendors.No support from peers. No proper direction on deadlines. Every weekend support is expected with zero pay and no benefits.
Each day begin with stand-up meeting for 30 mins and rest of the time for application development or internal team meetings. Learned the complex application structure and how to do communication between JAVA and C++. Very supportive management and fun working environment with team.
Good company with excellent technology, good management, excellent budget for new project and processes. They are on an acquisition spree and that can be a bit disruptive
The work culture is mixture of all cultures from all continents, religion, race and countries. Management is strict over compliance of system and remediation of vulns
Verizon is a great company with a great work culture and training. The only thing that I don't like is I worked for the company twice as a full time employee and I was laid off twice.