World Health Organization

World Health Organization Employee Reviews for Surveillance Officer

good place to learners. learnt many things about the field. hard work and busy life with a less benefits other than salary. slow and tedious growth.
Pros
good work culture
Cons
no benefits other than salary
A typical day at work- Being a SMO, my job profile is doing advocacy and supporting the district in surveillance activities(Vaccine Preventable Disease Surveillance), strengthening of routine immunization activities, pulse polio immunization activities, supporting district in newer vaccines launch & roll out. Learning-My profile as SMO has helped me grow as a public health professional.I have learned doing data analysis and advocacy with the analysed data with the district health officials for strengthening of various program indicators.My profile has given me the opportunity to working as a team with different WHO colleagues working in the district as well as working as a team with partner agencies with predefined role and responsibility of each partner agency. Management-I am overall responsible for my team comprising of an Administrative Assistant, Drivers and Field Monitors. Workplace Culture-It is good as you are part of a small WHO family in the district. Hardest Part of Job- When the data based feedback is not taken positively by the district health department. Most Enjoyable part of Job-When the suggestions for strengthening of health indicators are acknowledged and implemented by the district administration.
Pros
Appreciation of your work by the District eg. by District Magistrate
Cons
Monotonous Job, Long working Hours, Difficulty in Work Life Balance
Busy day through out the year with so many challenges and so much to learn. It has been a great experience to work with such a great organisation where i learn a lot on a daily basis. Perfect job for a public health specialist to start with.
International organization with lot of load. Systemic, planned tasks are given to employees for performance. Work includes clinical case management, capacity building, advocacy with government, data management. Appraisal done every 6 months. Good salary package with other benefits
Pros
Technical knowledge, career oriented, salary
Cons
Too much workload
I look after a large geographical terrain with a population >7 million. I constantly have to judge my priorities and meet timelines. Priorities at work include investigating a suspected polio (AFP) or measles case, ensuring quality sample collection from case, follow-up of the case, advocacy with clinicians for regular reporting of a suspected polio and measles case, capacity building of health workers, and supportive supervision and monitoring of Routine Immunization. The most important thing that I learned while working as SMO is how to think on my feet. In this resource constrained area, one has to innovate- test- improve the solution continuously. Since I took over, AFP case detection rate has increased by about 25%, measles outbreaks have been reported from all the districts still no death is reported/ detected in surveys after our quick and effective intervention in each outbreak, I have also tactically solved the problem of missed areas in Supplementary Immunization Rounds of Polio vaccine by developing local leadership in one of the district. The hardest part of my job is to cope up with high pressure for producing results while maintaining processes, which I have successfully done for last more than 3 years.
Pros
Good salary, Esteemed position
Cons
Inconsistent working hours, huge travel (20-22 days a month)
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at World Health Organization?